Who will be the Republican Nominee for president?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 11, 2015, 08:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will be the GOP nominee?

Trump
6 (16.7%)
Carson
3 (8.3%)
Rubio
18 (50%)
Cruz
2 (5.6%)
Bush
4 (11.1%)
Paul
0 (0%)
Kaisch
2 (5.6%)
Fiorina
0 (0%)
Huckabee
1 (2.8%)
Christie
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

You know, there really should be an "Other" option due to the possibility of a brokered convention.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 11, 2015, 10:12:12 AMRomney decisively won Nevada (50% of the vote), demonstrating its moderate mormon tendencies.

:)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

Probably Rubio, but right now he's just starting to face his first round of media scrutiny muckraking.  How he reacts to that and how it affects his poll numbers should give a clearer picture of his chances.  Cruz will hold on the longest as the conservative alternative to Rubio. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

KRonn

Voted Rubio and I think he'll come on down the home stretch. He's showing to be very good on talking about policy and his ideas, seems to have a good grasp on the issues, and has done well in all/most debates. Plus he's probably one of the most viable candidates vs Hillary and I think voters will vote for a candidate they feel can win the Presidency.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on November 11, 2015, 02:41:20 PM
Probably Rubio, but right now he's just starting to face his first round of media scrutiny muckraking.  How he reacts to that and how it affects his poll numbers should give a clearer picture of his chances.  Cruz will hold on the longest as the conservative alternative to Rubio.

That's the thing, Rubio doesn't need a conservative alternative. His "moderation" mainly consists of not ranting and raving to the press.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 11, 2015, 04:46:51 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 11, 2015, 02:41:20 PM

That's the thing, Rubio doesn't need a conservative alternative. His "moderation" mainly consists of not ranting and raving to the press.

Which makes him untrustworthy to the base.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Voted for Cruz since I think his chances are being underestimated here.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

No idea who it will be at this point.

But I do know that no matter who it is...this will probably be the worst presidential contest in quite some time.

Hansmeister

Voted Rubio.  Has the broadest appeal to the various factions of the GOP, as well as a combination of charisma and debating skills that will make him formidable in the general. Youthful, charismatic, and articulate Rubio against an elderly, unlikeable, and generally incoherent Hillary sounds like a good match up.

Cruz is by far the best debater (former national debate champion from Yale) and sharp as a whip, but lacks a certain warmth.  Political debates are ultimately unlike college debates and do not get graded on a point system.

Carson is a very likable, but simply not very strong on the issues.  This isn't as obvious in a crowded field where each candidate doesn't get to speak much, but as the field whittles down it will become more apparent.

Trump mainly appeals to working class democrats that have been pushed out of the party by Obama. I'm uncertain how reliable they will be during the primaries.  I also believe that his support represents a hard ceiling and as the number of candidates decline their votes will coalesce to the anti-Trump.

I don't see any of the other candidates to be in serious contention anymore.  I've been surprised how poorly all the governors performed this year (Bush, Jindal, Walker, Perry, Kasich, and Christie). 

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

Rubio can really riff. He goes off sometimes like a machine, and some people are accusing him of memorizing stuff to spit later.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Hansmeister on November 11, 2015, 08:10:40 PM
Carson is a very likable, but simply not very strong on the issues.

Way to go out on a limb there Square. :lol:

Monoriu

I thought it would be a Clinton vs Bush rematch, but it looks increasingly unlikely.  If I were a voter, I'd vote Bush for sure.