Women are either bisexual or gay but 'never straight'

Started by jimmy olsen, November 10, 2015, 07:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Languish really is dead if this study wasn't posted earlier here!  :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11977121/Women-are-either-bisexual-or-gay-but-never-straight.html

Women are either bisexual or gay but 'never straight'

A study has found that most women who say they are straight are in fact aroused by videos of both naked men and naked women

By Eleanor Steafel, and agencies

1:44PM GMT 05 Nov 2015

Most women are either bisexual or gay but "never straight", a study suggests.

Research has found that though lesbians are much more attracted to the female form, most women who say they are straight are in fact aroused by videos of both naked men and naked women.

The study, led by Dr Gerulf Rieger from the Department of Psychology at the University of Essex, involved 345 women whose responses to being shown videos of naked men and women were analysed.

The results, which were based on elements such as whether their pupils dilated in response to sexual stimuli, showed that 82% of the women tested were aroused by both sexes.

Meanwhile of the women who identified as straight, 74% were strongly sexually aroused by videos of both attractive men and attractive women.

This was in contrast to lesbians, who showed much stronger sexual responses to women than to men.

The researchers said lesbians were the most like men in their responses because it is usually men who show distinct sexual responses to their favourite sex.

Dr Rieger said: "Even though the majority of women identify as straight, our research clearly demonstrates that when it comes to what turns them on, they are either bisexual or gay, but never straight."

Dr Rieger also said his study showed that lesbians who may dress in a more masculine way may not have more masculine behaviours.

"Although some lesbians were more masculine in their sexual arousal, and others were more masculine in their behaviours, there was no indication that these were the same women," he said.

"This shows us that how women appear in public does not mean that we know anything about their sexual role preferences."

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I think Dr. Rieger's gonna use this study to try to get his wife/gf to do a threesome.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

QuoteDr Rieger also said his study showed that lesbians who may dress in a more masculine way may not have more masculine behaviours.

"Although some lesbians were more masculine in their sexual arousal, and others were more masculine in their behaviours, there was no indication that these were the same women," he said.

"This shows us that how women appear in public does not mean that we know anything about their sexual role preferences."

I am completely confused by this. All he is studying is sexual arousal response to stimuli. Now he is presenting conclusions about behaviors and role preferences? How is one more masculine in their sexual arousal?

Also 82% of all women were attracted to both sexes yet straight women were 74% likely to be so...but then lesbians were even less likely? Where is the rest of that percentage coming from? Was there a large bisexual contingent?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2015, 09:12:52 AM
QuoteDr Rieger also said his study showed that lesbians who may dress in a more masculine way may not have more masculine behaviours.

I am completely confused by this. All he is studying is sexual arousal response to stimuli. Now he is presenting conclusions about behaviors and role preferences? How is one more masculine in their sexual arousal?

Also 82% of all women were attracted to both sexes yet straight women were 74% likely to be so...but then lesbians were even less likely? Where is the rest of that percentage coming from? Was there a large bisexual contingent?

If 82% of women are attracted to both sexes, why are you wondering where the bisexual contingent coming from? It is the 82% mentioned.

He is saying that women who identify as lesbians are NOT attracted to both sexes, they are only attracted to women.

What is the confusion here?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2015, 10:03:24 AM

If 82% of women are attracted to both sexes, why are you wondering where the bisexual contingent coming from? It is the 82% mentioned.

He is saying that women who identify as lesbians are NOT attracted to both sexes, they are only attracted to women.

82% of women are attracted to both sexes and 74% of women who identify as straight are attracted to both sexes and some lower percentage of women who identify as lesbians are attracted to both sexes. So there must be a significant number of women who identify as bisexual for those numbers to make any sense. Otherwise the aggregate would not be significantly higher than both the straight and lesbian contingent. It also suggests that the number of lesbians in the study must have been quite small if there are only 345 total.

Also he says that women are 'never straight' yet 26% of the straight women were not attracted to both sexes? And then he goes off on behaviors and roles of lesbians even though that has nothing to do with his study.

It just seems all over the place.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2015, 10:21:53 AM

82% of women are attracted to both sexes and 74% of women who identify as straight are attracted to both sexes and some lower percentage of women who identify as lesbians are attracted to both sexes. So there must be a significant number of women who identify as bisexual for those numbers to make any sense. Otherwise the aggregate would not be significantly higher than both the straight and lesbian contingent. It also suggests that the number of lesbians in the study must have been quite small if there are only 345 total.

Also he says that women are 'never straight' yet 26% of the straight women were not attracted to both sexes? And then he goes off on behaviors and roles of lesbians even though that has nothing to do with his study.

No, If 82% of women are attracted to both sexes and no women are straight then that means that 18% of women are lesbians who are never attracted to men.

Also, you are misreading the article.  74% of women who identified as straight were strongly aroused by both sexes.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 10, 2015, 10:30:49 AM
No, If 82% of women are attracted to both sexes and no women are straight then that means that 18% of women are lesbians who are never attracted to men.

Except that was not what was said.

QuoteMeanwhile of the women who identified as straight, 74% were strongly sexually aroused by videos of both attractive men and attractive women.

This was in contrast to lesbians, who showed much stronger sexual responses to women than to men.

74% is not 100%. Now it could mean that 'strongly' means something here or that 'stronger' means something. Maybe some of those Lesbians were counted in the 82% since they were attracted to men enough. Maybe all the straight women were included because even the ones who were not strongly sexually aroused were still aroused enough to qualify. Maybe there was another third contingent of identified bisexual women.

Also if you are right and he is claiming zero percent for lesbians and one hundred percent for straights that would be...well I mean how often do you ever get a result like that in this kind of study?

Valmy

Also, you are misreading the article.  74% of women who identified as straight were strongly aroused by both sexes.

I am not misreading anything. That number was quoted for a reason. The reason I guess is to confuse and make it unclear what the study said.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2015, 10:21:53 AM

82% of women are attracted to both sexes

Right - that is 82% of all the women tested. It doesn't say WHICH sex the remaining 18% are NOT attracted to though...

and 74% of women who identify as straight are attracted to both sexes and some lower percentage of women who identify as lesbians are attracted to both sexes. So there must be a significant number of women who identify as bisexual for those numbers to make any sense.

No, there doesn't have to be any number that identify as bisexual for that to make sense.

The test is measuring arousal, not how they identify as bi or straight.

Otherwise the aggregate would not be significantly higher than both the straight and lesbian contingent.

Aggregate? Aggregate of what? The two numbers are based on different sets, there is no aggregate.
It also suggests that the number of lesbians in the study must have been quite small if there are only 345 total.

OK - so?

Also he says that women are 'never straight' yet 26% of the straight women were not attracted to both sexes?

And then he goes off on behaviors and roles of lesbians even though that has nothing to do with his study.

Well, it has nothing to do with the parts of his study the article is reporting on, I suspect his study is likely more far reaching than the titillating bits being reported on.

Journalism.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2015, 10:38:48 AM

I am not misreading anything. That number was quoted for a reason. The reason I guess is to confuse and make it unclear what the study said.

Yes it was quoted because 74% of straight women were strongly aroused compared to Lesbians who were not strongly aroused by men.  I am not sure what is so confusing about that.

Since the conclusion is that no women are straight it stands to reason that 100% of women who identified as straight had some form of arousal to both sexes.  Its just that 74% of them had a strong reaction.  You are assuming that because 74% had a strong reaction that the remaining 26% had no reaction.  That is why you are misreading the article.

HVC

Wasn't there a study recently that women were aroused by images of rape and assault as well?  Maybe they're just aroused by everything
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 10, 2015, 10:44:57 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2015, 10:38:48 AM

Yes it was quoted because 74% of straight women were strongly aroused compared to Lesbians who were not strongly aroused by men.  I am not sure what is so confusing about that.

Since the conclusion is that no women are straight it stands to reason that 100% of women who identified as straight had some form of arousal to both sexes.  Its just that 74% of them had a strong reaction.  You are assuming that because 74% had a strong reaction that the remaining 26% had no reaction.  That is why you are misreading the article.

I was not assuming that. That is certainly one conclusion that could be reached.

DGuller

Finally my kind of thread.  :)

I'm not sure what the confusion is, it seems like there is 74% chance that straight women are 100% likely to be aroused.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on November 10, 2015, 10:53:05 AM
Maybe they're just aroused by everything

Given the state of most men, its a good thing too.

DGuller