Dept of Education declares that school must allow boy to shower with girls

Started by Phillip V, November 02, 2015, 09:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 03:50:49 PM
And then there is NPH and David Burtka who do this kind of shit with their kids each year. It's so fucking obnoxiously sweet, it's annoying.

NPH really is king of the dorks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 03:52:57 PM
Yup. I wonder if a lot of trans people are sorta pressured into gender reassignment surgery.

Yeah I don't know. These are the kind of subjects you just do not bring up. 'So...thinking of getting gender reassignment surgery?' 'Hey so are you happy you got gender reassignment therapy?'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

dps

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 12:20:26 PM
How else would you enforce compliance with the national curriculum

We aren't supposed to have a national curriculum in the States.

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 12:20:26 PM
I am talking about educating about facts (such as "a transgendered student is not a boy despite being born with male genitals").
It's not a fact.  Facts can be verified.  This is impossible to verify as of now.  No brain scan is going to definately reveal if you are a female trapped in a man's body.  What is required is a psych eval and these kind of evaluations will differ from therapist to thereapist and the majority of psychological experiments can not be reproduced in controlled environment.
While I have no doubt the trans person really feel how he/she says, there is no facts here, you evaluate the sincerity of the person, not the reality or permanency of the thing.  Someone may very well be convinced to be girl, take all the steps up to the surgery and then express regret at the loss of their masculine organ and be even more distressed about it than before.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2015, 12:31:07 PM
The same issue exists for having gender-separate facilities in the first place. It would be great (plus a savings of expense) to simply educate children to not suffer shyness or have any other problems in the presence of naked kids with different genitals, and maybe in the future that will be the way forward - but for as long as such differences are culturally ingrained, it seems incoherent to accommodate them by having different facilities generally, but to ignore them in specific cases. It strikes me as creating more problems than it solves.

Given that many women seem to like the idea of all female gym, I won't hold my breath on this ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on November 03, 2015, 01:01:34 PM
Do you recognize this as a known mental illness as categorized by ISC and DSM?
Not so long ago, Martinus and Garbon would have been considered mentally ill.  Imho, it means the DSM is not infaillible.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on November 03, 2015, 01:27:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 03, 2015, 01:23:40 PM
Gender dysphoria is. As far as I know, gender identity disorder no longer is.
ICD-10 still calls GID  http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd10/browse/2015/en#/F64.9  So we are clear that these people are in fact, mentally ill correct?  Now imagine a pill was invented and caused a person to become satisfied with their biological sex.  Would this be an acceptable solution?
it there was a pill to transform gay people into straight people, would homosexuality (re)become a mental illness?

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2015, 02:42:35 PM

The French even invented the term for it.  ;)
interesting!  They never taught us that in history class.  Damn Catholic school! ;)

viper37

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on November 03, 2015, 04:36:52 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2015, 02:42:35 PM

The French even invented the term for it.  ;)
interesting!  They never taught us that in history class.  Damn Catholic school! ;)

Well to be fair to the Catholics ( ;) ),  its a pretty obscure topic - I only heard about it in a social anthropology course in university ("Kinship and the Family", I believe).

A lot of the concepts are simply not readily translatable into terms understandable in a European context - for example, the "two spirited" were thought to have, basically, special ritual status and magical powers, which both gave them high status in some cases, but also exposed them to a lot of danger (if shit went wrong they were liable to be accused of causing it through bad sorcery). 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2015, 04:46:29 PM
for example, the "two spirited" were thought to have, basically, special ritual status and magical powers, which both gave them high status in some cases, but also exposed them to a lot of danger (if shit went wrong they were liable to be accused of causing it through bad sorcery).

So it's not different from the Western society after all. Of course our special ritual status mainly involves hosting Tonys and our magical powers seem to center around being able to tell eggshell from ecru. :P

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 04:51:57 PM
for example, the "two spirited" were thought to have, basically, special ritual status and magical powers, which both gave them high status in some cases, but also exposed them to a lot of danger (if shit went wrong they were liable to be accused of causing it through bad sorcery).

So it's not different from the Western society after all. Of course our special ritual status mainly involves hosting Tonys and our magical powers seem to center around being able to tell eggshell from ecru. :P

:lol:

Does that mean we ought to persecute you guys because you "caused" Eurovision?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 04:51:57 PM

I knew your bad sorcery caused Ragtime to lose to The Lion King  :mad: