Dept of Education declares that school must allow boy to shower with girls

Started by Phillip V, November 02, 2015, 09:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2015, 03:30:56 PM
Throw off the shackles to express yourself sexually? Are you on drugs?

Touche. You can leave the dog collar and the leash on.

Valmy

Yeah I thought Marty was into a bit of light bondage.

Anyway I want no part of any of that. Monogamy is what I have wanted since I was a small child. I have always had exactly zero percent interest in other structures. I want a cozy home with a supporting family and a close intimate bond with my partner. That is me expressing myself. It is not for everybody but I find it pretty damn amazing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 11:46:16 AM
Ok, let me ask a question to Tamas, Yi, Josephus, DGuller and the rest of the crowd here - do you guys question the objective existence of transgenderism as something that is inborn and "incurable"?
I will answer for myself.  I think it is inborn and incurable as of today.  Just like homosexuality.

I am not excluding that over time we could find the cause of transgenderism and maybe have a treatment, psychological or otherwise.  Just like homosexuality where some research are beginning to indicate a genetic factor.

While I do believe psychological, genetical and other research should be pursued to better understand the phenomenon, I do not believe, even if such treatments were 100% effective and without any side-effects should be forced on someone.  Though I suspect there could be family/social pressure into taking it.

I do think that there is a somewhat recent increase in transgender behavior (people identifying themselves as the opposite sex of their biology) and I am uncertain that the current situation where we encourage them to express their difference and eventually let them go to sex reassignment surgery is the right way to go, given that many seem to express regret.  Maybe there is a need for more psychological challenges before they reach that point, maybe they need to be confronted, shocked, whatever.  Maybe I am spouting crap too, that's possible, that's what you'll tell me anyway.  I just think we definately need more research to better understand these people in the long run.  In the mean time, seek accomodations based on the Vancouver school board's guidelines seems the proper attitude.  I'd hate to see an increase in teenage suicide because trans people feel untolerated.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2015, 03:35:10 PM
Yeah I thought Marty was into a bit of light bondage.

Anyway I want no part of any of that. Monogamy is what I have wanted since I was a small child. I have always had exactly zero percent interest in other structures. I want a cozy home with a supporting family and a close intimate bond with my partner. That is me expressing myself. It is not for everybody but I find it pretty damn amazing.

That's fine. I think we should get all flavours at the ice cream truck of human sexuality, and I actually do frequently choose vanilla. At ice cream trucks, not at sexuality, but I can appreciate the sentiment.

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on November 03, 2015, 03:35:25 PM
Ok, let me ask a question to Tamas, Yi, Josephus, DGuller and the rest of the crowd here - do you guys question the objective existence of transgenderism as something that is inborn and "incurable"?
I will answer for myself.  I think it is inborn and incurable as of today.  Just like homosexuality.

I am not excluding that over time we could find the cause of transgenderism and maybe have a treatment, psychological or otherwise.  Just like homosexuality where some research are beginning to indicate a genetic factor.

While I do believe psychological, genetical and other research should be pursued to better understand the phenomenon, I do not believe, even if such treatments were 100% effective and without any side-effects should be forced on someone.  Though I suspect there could be family/social pressure into taking it.

I do think that there is a somewhat recent increase in transgender behavior (people identifying themselves as the opposite sex of their biology) and I am uncertain that the current situation where we encourage them to express their difference and eventually let them go to sex reassignment surgery is the right way to go, given that many seem to express regret.  Maybe there is a need for more psychological challenges before they reach that point, maybe they need to be confronted, shocked, whatever.  Maybe I am spouting crap too, that's possible, that's what you'll tell me anyway.  I just think we definately need more research to better understand these people in the long run.  In the mean time, seek accomodations based on the Vancouver school board's guidelines seems the proper attitude.  I'd hate to see an increase in teenage suicide because trans people feel untolerated.

I think it's a complex issue. I don't have a final view on this myself, but I get a sort of knee-jerk reaction to ignorance and bigotry.

Josephus

No. I agree it's a real thing.

My issue with it is accommodation.  I can see how some girls and their parents would feel awkward if a "boy"...that is to say a human with a penis.. would use the same change room/ shower.

CC's Vancouver example, is something that is a fair compromise. But unless a separate room exists, then I think it's best for all if the "boy" used the men's changeroom.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 03:36:57 PM
That's fine. I think we should get all flavours at the ice cream truck of human sexuality, and I actually do frequently choose vanilla. At ice cream trucks, not at sexuality, but I can appreciate the sentiment.

Yeah so leave me with my emotionally nurturing shackles :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 03:38:46 PM
I think it's a complex issue. I don't have a final view on this myself, but I get a sort of knee-jerk reaction to ignorance and bigotry.

Yeah I have no idea what is true and what isn't. I just figure we should not be assholes to people.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2015, 03:44:56 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 03:38:46 PM

Yeah I have no idea what is true and what isn't. I just figure we should not be assholes to people.

Yeah. I think we should minimise suffering. The transgendered kids probably have enough shit going on in their life. Like wondering whether to cut off their penis.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 03:28:48 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2015, 03:17:56 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 03:12:25 PM
I think India and Nepal also have the third gender. And some Polynesian cultures.

But I guess this is the curse of our culture. We like to be binary. Very manichean. Hell, even 90% of the entire gay liberation culture has been about pretending we are just like the straights.

Huh. I have known many people from Nepal and India and none of them have mentioned this before. But then how often does a gender category a tiny percentage of the population occupy come up in conversation?

Our culture is not unique to having two genders.

As far as gays pretending to be just like the straights well...when you raised by wolves you are going to resemble them at least a little bit surely? :P

Yeah, but we are different. We tend towards polyamory, or at least more unusual set ups - yet we settle for monogamy. Also, equating lesbians and gays is just a no-no - we are galaxies apart.

But I also agree with Bill Maher - after all the sexual liberation of the last decade, it's you, heterosexual folk, who get the short end of the stick - because we are free to express ourselves, but you guys are still stuck in your old Victorian expectations. Time to throw off the shackles and begin the new aeon.  :P

Heh, I have found it sorta amusing (if reasonably predictable) that the actual effect of actually liberating homosexuals from the culture of discrimination at the hands of the hetero majority has been - that the whole culture of gays as sexually promiscuous, adventurous outsiders has faded. More and more, it seems, they use their freedom to "want" to engage in stereotypical 'heteronormative' couples behavior that would do the Cleavers proud.  :D Gay marriage was, as it turned out, a two-edged thing - hell, I have a gay couple living two doors down, and they are so goddamned normal they make me look like a freak.  :P Even our Gay Pride Day Parade is basically a civic institution, becoming about as 'transgressive' as the Santa Claus Parade.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

And then there is NPH and David Burtka who do this kind of shit with their kids each year. It's so fucking obnoxiously sweet, it's annoying.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 03:46:53 PM
Yeah. I think we should minimise suffering. The transgendered kids probably have enough shit going on in their life. Like wondering whether to cut off their penis.

Or get one added.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2015, 03:51:36 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 03:46:53 PM

Or get one added.

Yup. I wonder if a lot of trans people are sorta pressured into gender reassignment surgery.