Dept of Education declares that school must allow boy to shower with girls

Started by Phillip V, November 02, 2015, 09:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2015, 08:49:36 AM
In other cultures there have always been more than two, but not in ours!
really?  I admit my curiosity now.  Thailand, apparently, but other than that, which culture recognizes more than two genders?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Well there are thousands of cultures. I am sure there are a few in there with dozens of genders.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on November 03, 2015, 02:39:46 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2015, 08:49:36 AM
In other cultures there have always been more than two, but not in ours!
really?  I admit my curiosity now.  Thailand, apparently, but other than that, which culture recognizes more than two genders?

Native Americans, for one. 

http://plainshumanities.unl.edu/encyclopedia/doc/egp.gen.004

QuoteIn the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, French explorers, traders, and missionaries in the Mississippi Valley occasionally encountered Native Americans who could be classified neither as men nor women. They called such individuals berdaches, a French term for younger partners in male homosexual relationships. In fact, Plains Indian berdaches are best described as occupying an alternative or third gender role, in which traits of men and women are combined with those unique to berdache status. Male berdaches did women's work, cross-dressed or combined male and female clothing, and formed relationships with non-berdache men.

Plains Indian women often engaged in hunting and warfare, but a female role equivalent to that of male berdaches, although common west of the Rockies, has been documented in the Plains only among the Cheyennes (the hetaneman). Even so, some Plains Indian women became notable warriors and leaders and behaved much like berdaches. In the early nineteenth century, Running Eagle of the Piegans wore male clothing on war parties, while Woman Chief of the Crows had four wives.

The French even invented the term for it.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on November 03, 2015, 09:17:20 AM
I think if the captain of the basketball team announced that he was going to dress up as a girl and claim gender-female status so he can go shower with the girls basketball team, he would not get any ridicule at all.
If think if he started dressing up as a girl all day long at school, he would get ridiculed.
There is a difference between dressing as a girl once to visit the girls' showers or crawling to a deck to see the girls showering or finding any other way into their dressing room and being dressed as a girl and doing sports with the girls every day for many months.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2015, 02:42:35 PM

Do Native American progressives reject the Gender Trinary?

How common was this? My impression was that each Native American nation had a pretty different culture and language.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 03, 2015, 02:46:18 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 03, 2015, 09:17:20 AM
I think if the captain of the basketball team announced that he was going to dress up as a girl and claim gender-female status so he can go shower with the girls basketball team, he would not get any ridicule at all.
If think if he started dressing up as a girl all day long at school, he would get ridiculed.
There is a difference between dressing as a girl once to visit the girls' showers or crawling to a deck to see the girls showering or finding any other way into their dressing room and being dressed as a girl and doing sports with the girls every day for many months.

The ability to pull off this scheme depends entirely on the idiocy of the adults in charge. So...it probably would happen someplace.

Duque de Bragança

QuoteIn the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, French explorers, traders, and missionaries in the Mississippi Valley occasionally encountered Native Americans who could be classified neither as men nor women. They called such individuals berdaches, a French term for younger partners in male homosexual relationships. In fact, Plains Indian berdaches are best described as occupying an alternative or third gender role, in which traits of men and women are combined with those unique to berdache status. Male berdaches did women's work, cross-dressed or combined male and female clothing, and formed relationships with non-berdache men.

Plains Indian women often engaged in hunting and warfare, but a female role equivalent to that of male berdaches, although common west of the Rockies, has been documented in the Plains only among the Cheyennes (the hetaneman). Even so, some Plains Indian women became notable warriors and leaders and behaved much like berdaches. In the early nineteenth century, Running Eagle of the Piegans wore male clothing on war parties, while Woman Chief of the Crows had four wives.

The French even invented the term for it.  ;)

The real French term, in modern spelling at least, is bardache though, otherwise Viper and other francophones won't be able to find it in a dictionary.  :P

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2015, 02:49:19 PM

Do Native American progressives reject the Gender Trinary?

:P

They are just pissed that the name comes from the French, a slang term at that. They now prefer "two-spirit".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2015, 02:56:00 PM
They are just pissed that the name comes from the French, a slang term at that. They now prefer "two-spirit".

So they chose an English term. Well we guess we know who won the Seven Years War. Stupid Louis XV.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 03, 2015, 01:52:08 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 03, 2015, 01:45:27 PM
Thread exec.sum. please.  :)

Did I miss anything?

Not really.  Yi assumes boys will pretend to be trans to obtain sexual gratification; some take the position that boys just need to be boys; others take the view that reasonable accommodation is the answer and the policies in Vancouver and Toronto were posted; Valmy was concerned about local autonomy in creating such policies - that was probably the best part of the discussion.  After that the discussion was diverted into whether outdated definitions of mental illness were still valid.

Thanks CC, half an hour of my life saved. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

I think India and Nepal also have the third gender. And some Polynesian cultures.

But I guess this is the curse of our culture. We like to be binary. Very manichean. Hell, even 90% of the entire gay liberation culture has been about pretending we are just like the straights.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 03:12:25 PM
I think India and Nepal also have the third gender. And some Polynesian cultures.

But I guess this is the curse of our culture. We like to be binary. Very manichean. Hell, even 90% of the entire gay liberation culture has been about pretending we are just like the straights.

Huh. I have known many people from Nepal and India and none of them have mentioned this before. But then how often does a gender category a tiny percentage of the population occupy come up in conversation?

Our culture is not unique to having two genders.

As far as gays pretending to be just like the straights well...when you raised by wolves you are going to resemble them at least a little bit surely? :P

Razgovory

You do realize, this isn't really the type transsexualism we were talking about, right.  It's closer to being a nun or eunuch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2015, 03:17:56 PM

Huh. I have known many people from Nepal and India and none of them have mentioned this before. But then how often does a gender category a tiny percentage of the population occupy come up in conversation?

Our culture is not unique to having two genders.

As far as gays pretending to be just like the straights well...when you raised by wolves you are going to resemble them at least a little bit surely? :P

Yeah, but we are different. We tend towards polyamory, or at least more unusual set ups - yet we settle for monogamy. Also, equating lesbians and gays is just a no-no - we are galaxies apart.

But I also agree with Bill Maher - after all the sexual liberation of the last decade, it's you, heterosexual folk, who get the short end of the stick - because we are free to express ourselves, but you guys are still stuck in your old Victorian expectations. Time to throw off the shackles and begin the new aeon.  :P

The Brain

Throw off the shackles to express yourself sexually? Are you on drugs?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.