Der Dreißigjährige Krieg 1618-1648: A Holy Roman Empire AAR

Started by Drakken, April 02, 2016, 07:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Drakken on April 05, 2016, 12:59:14 AM
TURN 7 - MARCH 1619

Pilsen has fallen. Breaching its walls once again Mansfeld swiftly deals the killing blow, destroying what remained of the 12 pounders. :cry:

Is capture not an option? You'd think that with such an undermanned garrison, capture of the guns would be their goal, not their destruction.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Drakken

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2016, 01:54:56 AM
Is capture not an option? You'd think that with such an undermanned garrison, capture of the guns would be their goal, not their destruction.

After every battle the winner does have a probability to capture assets like artillery or supply wagons.

From my side, these assets were reported as destroyed. but it could be refering to the unit stacks. Due to fog of war it is entirely possible these were in fact captured.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Drakken

TURN 8 - APRIL 1619

Mortem annuntiamus Matthias electus Dei gratia Romanorum imperator semper augustus, rex Germaniae, Hungariae, Bohemiae, Dalmatiae, Croatiae, Slavonia Rama Serbiam Galiciae Lodomeria, Cumania et Bulgariam, Archiduce Austriae, dux Burgundiae, Brabantiae, Styriae, Carinthiae, Carniola, Lucemburgensis, Baden, Superi et inferi Silesia, Suevia Princeps, Marchio Sacri Romani Imperii Burgau Moraviae, Superi et inferi Lusatia, reginali comitem Habsburgi, Tyrolis Ferrette, Kyburg, ricie, Landgravius ​​Alsace, dominus de March Wendish, et Salins Naonis, etc. Amen.   :cry:

We are now officially without an Emperor. Even though Ferdinand is technically and legally Emperor-elect the Electoral College still has to be convened.

But life goes on...

Winter is now over, Bohemia is in spring again. My lone available supply wagon, currently getting refilled in Linz, is sent at once to supply to join Bucquoy's army left withering in Dienstadt.

I also order the 12 pounder guns and my Croatian dragoons from Vienna to reinforce the Imperial Forces, while I send my Croatian mercenaries into the Bohemian country side to rape, loot, pillage, destroy harass the Protestants' supply lines.

Drakken

TURN 9 - MAY 1619

Count Thurn is unable to breach the walls of the city, despite its garrison starving inside. I build yet another supply wagon aiming to build a Depot in Budweiss as soon as Thurn's pressure is relieved. Bucquoy now partially activated this time I immediately race to the help of its beleaguered, starving garrison before it is too late.

Mansfeld remains totally immobile in Pilsen; my take is, he is probably botching his own activation rolls. I exploit Mansfeld's inactivity by systematically trolling around Prague with impunity, my Croatians pillaging any province around the Bohemian capital that is under Protestants' Military Control. This will harm not only his supply lines, but hamper Prague's own supply production as well. As because the Croatian mercenaries have the Pillager trait they will destroy any Depot or Stockade they encounter, making them ideal for this kind of operation.

Drakken

Quote from: Queequeg on April 06, 2016, 03:41:31 AM
Reading this in Austria is weird.

If you can, visit the Imperial Crypt for me and have a thought for poor, old Emperor Matthias. :)

Don't worry, soon enough it will engulf all of Germany and not just the little Bohemian-Austrian sandbox. We are very early in the Bohemian phase, Tilly and the Catholic League haven't even entered the ring yet.

Drakken

TURN 10 - JUNE 1619

Long hiatus doing something else, but it ain't over until it's over.

After a long march in which lots of soldiers stepped on each other's toes Bucquoy arrives to save the situation, just in the nick of time. Count Thurn's besieging army had successfully created a breach in Budweis's walls just when the Imperial Army arrived.

Now Bucquoy puts himself between the city and the Protestants to defend the city. Bucquoy is now back closer to its supply lines with a supply wagon heading for relief, while Von Thurn's rears are cut out with next to no supply, the hinterland pillaged.

The Croatian raiders now head back toward Brunn after creating utter chaos throughout Bohemia.

Drakken

TURN 11 - JULY 1619

Count Thurn is starved and completely pulls out, retiring all the way to Prague, while Mansfeld moved from Pilsen to rejoin with Thurn. Plus, our spies inform us that the Protestants have requested (and obtained) help from England.  <_<

I get Exceptional income from Vienna, with War Supplies and available troops. I take a defensive stance while I build a Depot yet again to feed the now unsupplied Budweis, coupled with Defensive Works around the Imperial camp. With the income and supplies now available I organize a few replacements, both Imperial and Croatians, and recruit a Pikeman regiment to boost Bucquoy's Army as reinforcement with another Supply Wagon.

celedhring

Just found this, great read. As a decent, God-fearing Spaniard I approve your crushing of Luteran heretics  :pope:

PDH

Quote from: celedhring on May 19, 2016, 10:04:03 AM
Just found this, great read. As a decent, God-fearing Spaniard I approve your crushing of Luteran heretics  :pope:

Why the lute hate?  :(
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM