News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Walking Dead spoilers thread

Started by viper37, October 25, 2015, 10:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Also, I am hating the seemingly pointless turning of Carol from a top badass to the weakest link.

Josephus

The Carol storyline has been the weakest of this half season. Yes I think we're supposed to feel her guilt, that she can't cope in this world of dog-eat-dog; but it just doesn't suit her. Wasn't that long ago she took out two little girls for their final walk in the flowers. It seems an unconvincing turn and I'm just not interested.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

I mean, I guess they could be playing the "she killed/burned some people, then executed a little girl, so while she was a badass, she was also basically insane" angle, and now all of that has caught up to her.  But it still isn't working very well.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on April 04, 2016, 12:13:48 PM
1: Well that's an anti-climax on Daryll being shot. Though I'm relieved to see an outcome- at first it looked like they were going on end the episode on everyone being surrounded, then I noticed we hadn't reached the end yet.
It should have ended right there.

2: In the US hunting shops typically carry night vision goggles right? Just realised I haven't seen a single pair on the show. :hmm:
Aren't these things working with batteries?  You'd need to constantly find new batteries to make it work as you can't recharge them.

4: Typical stupid villains. All that fuss and right when they have our guys they don't kill them all.
Well, that's presumably how they grew to such a large number, by integrating part of their victim's groups.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Solmyr

Maybe Negan kills Glenn after all, next season he'll marry Maggie and they'll have the future Batman as a kid. :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 04, 2016, 07:18:36 PM
The Carol storyline has been the weakest of this half season. Yes I think we're supposed to feel her guilt, that she can't cope in this world of dog-eat-dog; but it just doesn't suit her. Wasn't that long ago she took out two little girls for their final walk in the flowers. It seems an unconvincing turn and I'm just not interested.

Agreed.  The story arc of weak abused Carole turning into strong self sufficient Carole was one of the best parts of the show.  It is hard to understand why they decided to make her weak again.

KRonn

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 05, 2016, 11:46:13 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 04, 2016, 07:18:36 PM

Agreed.  The story arc of weak abused Carole turning into strong self sufficient Carole was one of the best parts of the show.  It is hard to understand why they decided to make her weak again.

Agreed on that. I kind of just want the story line to be resolved, not much interest in it except that it's Carol's character which I really like. I try to understand her change of heart on things after all the killing, so there is good reasoning behind it. Just that it all happened so fast and didn't come out of a heinous event, but it was probably a culmination of all she'd done before. Remember her having to kill the young girl and prior to that at the prison she killed a couple diseased people to try and stop the spread of a serious illness. That all didn't sit well with her after a while, on top of whatever else she was feeling.

Josquius

I'm just not sure where the break point game.
There was no visible time where it would be logical for her to suddenly stop being so tough and revert back to genuinely being weak.
Perhaps due to having to always fake it in Alexandria she came to like being seen that way, yearn for days goneby, etc...?

QuoteAren't these things working with batteries?  You'd need to constantly find new batteries to make it work as you can't recharge them.
There should be plenty of rechargable batteries lying about (I guess the goggles will have internal ones?). Alexandria has stable power. I'm sure other groups have a generator or two.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on April 05, 2016, 12:15:45 AM
4: Typical stupid villains. All that fuss and right when they have our guys they don't kill them all
Well, that's presumably how they grew to such a large number, by integrating part of their victim's groups.

Yeah, that's key to their MO. They're empire builders not mass murderers. They want Alexandria as one of their puppet states.

Siege

I don't know.
Would empire building work that way?
I mean, killing one off at the start?
That would only work with groups that were not tight and not blood related.

If i were empire building on such an scenario, i would be torn between roman style and medieval. Due to total state of decay in which the world is, i think medieval is the way to go.
Create vassals of weaker gangs, offering protection and asking only for military aid whenever i call. Conquer some rivals, spread the wealth around, make sure no one vassal is stronger than you. Be nice to your friends and vassals, hard to your enemies, unforgiving to traitors and rebel vassals.
I don't think is rocket science. Why can't a TV show get it right?

Anyway, if by some reason i were to ask for tribute, half your shit is too punitive for empire building, no matter what's your style. I think a 3rd or less.

My point is, an "state" based on such punitive "economics" as Negans is, would be selected out by natural selection and be destroyed either internally or by outside conquest.

Which, might be the point of the show?
Nah. They are too stupid to get it right.
The last few seasons the "survivors " have made far too many mistakes than in real life would have selected them out of the gene pool by now.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Siege on March 29, 2016, 07:35:16 PM
No. It doesn't.
Reason is rockets accelerate incrementally. They come out at a slower speed and then pick up, thus not fast enough to detonate on water at the range depicted in the show.

Even worst, the explosion in which the biker gang goes belly up is completely off. There is no way any type of known RPG round can detonate in a surface explosion covering that much area. If it was an HE round it would explode with a kill radius of 10 meters and a fragmentation maximum of 150 meters, which would definitively not do what happened in the show. And an AP round would just make a little hole on the asphalt with the bikers looking at each other.

More importantly, RPG7 rounds do not have proximity fuse, so they would actually have to impact the target to detonate. Due to the target being motorcycles, my money would be on the round just flying between the bikes and going off on the distance.

By the way, when the RPG7 round detonates when shooting at a low flying rotary wing aircraft, it is not a proximity fuse, but the maximum range self detonation fuse, which goes off after 4.5 seconds of flight, between 920 and 1100 meters, depending on the round.

Anyway.

I thought RPGs had HEAT warheads.  No?

Siege

HEAT rounds are explosive shaped charges. They concentrate the explosion on the impact point for maximum penetration, leaving a little hole on the outside and the damage inside is by expanding amd sending fragmentation from the own tanks armor flying in all directions.
It would definitely not do the damage on the show.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"