Routine Shootings at US Schools and Universities Megathread.

Started by mongers, October 23, 2015, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on May 10, 2019, 10:08:22 AM
I don't think it is a good idea to place guns in a school environment.  The risks involved cannot be underestimated. 

:hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote"It is sobering that in 2017, there were 144 police officers who died in the line of duty and about 1,000 active duty military throughout the world who died, whereas 2,462 school-age children were killed by firearms,"
https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/03/22/health/gun-deaths-school-age-children-trnd/index.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 21, 2019, 11:47:02 PM
Quote"It is sobering that in 2017, there were 144 police officers who died in the line of duty and about 1,000 active duty military throughout the world who died, whereas 2,462 school-age children were killed by firearms,"
https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/03/22/health/gun-deaths-school-age-children-trnd/index.html

I have a feeling that the active duty military deaths are a bit higher than what this report states.

At any rate, the article isn't really relative to this thread.  The vast majority of those school age children weren't shot at school.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2019, 12:02:22 AM
Accidents I presume?

Some, I assume.  But most were probably murders that didn't happen at schools.  Not a good thing, but also not the topic of the thread.  Which would be Ok if it were an ACW hijack.

Oexmelin

From the link:

"The study found these listed causes of death among the children: 61% from assault; 32% from suicide; 5% accidental; and 2% undetermined"
Que le grand cric me croque !

DGuller

There is no reason to ruin a good point with intellectually dishonest statistics.  There are a bit more children then there are police officers, so comparing number of deaths between the two groups is moronic or misleading.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2019, 01:21:12 PM
There is no reason to ruin a good point with intellectually dishonest statistics.  There are a bit more children then there are police officers, so comparing number of deaths between the two groups is moronic or misleading.

Or neither.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Yeah, and both groups knew what they were signing up for when they joined.  Complaining is for losers.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

There is nothing dishonest or moronic about it.

The comparison is between US school-aged children and total police and military personnel in the world.

There are approximately 57 million school-aged children in the US.
There are approximately 19 million active duty military and 12 million police officers in the world = 31 million.

So if US children die at the same rate as military and police, one would expect about 2050 child deaths, as opposed to 2,462 observed. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

How do you suggest making the point that being a school aged child in the US is more dangerous than professions which are considered to be very dangerous.

Habbaku

I think it's pretty unfair to compare untrained US students against trained world servicemen. Even the shittiest militaries equip their soldiers with a rifle and ammunition, while US students go without even a pistol unless it's self-provided and brought to school.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 23, 2019, 09:49:09 AM

There is nothing dishonest or moronic about it.

The comparison is between US school-aged children and total police and military personnel in the world.

There are approximately 57 million school-aged children in the US.
There are approximately 19 million active duty military and 12 million police officers in the world = 31 million.

So if US children die at the same rate as military and police, one would expect about 2050 child deaths, as opposed to 2,462 observed.
I'm pretty sure the cop deaths at least are US figures, otherwise it would be so small as to defy common sense.  I think same goes for military deaths.  Apart from that, there is mixing and matching of causes of death;  counting some for children while not counting them for cops.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 23, 2019, 09:57:01 AM

How do you suggest making the point that being a school aged child in the US is more dangerous than professions which are considered to be very dangerous.
As a rule, I suggest not making points that are most likely false.