Routine Shootings at US Schools and Universities Megathread.

Started by mongers, October 23, 2015, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I am curious about the reporting here. I suspect that once details are known, their actions won't seem so absurd.

The big issue seems to be the "pause" after the shooting ended and before they went in and killed him, of about 30 minutes. During which time, he was barricaded into the room.

Now, that sounds bad, but one report I read was that during that time, when he was contained, they were still evacuating the rest of the school and making sure it was secure. At that point, they don't know if he is the only shooter, and their priority is evacuating the rest of the building.

Letting some parents, as distraught as they are, go into the building, even if they want to break down that door themselves, is a fucking terrible idea for about half a dozen different reasons.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Sure - that may well be the case.

My point is that it shows how crazy the idea is of arming teachers and expecting them to do things to save children that police forces - from what I understand - including SWAT didn't do and, possibly correctly, wouldn't do for reasons of safety etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

I don't see the issue here.  It doesn't sound like a situation in the other mass shooting where the cop was too cowardly to take on the shooter while the shooter was still shooting.  If the shooter were trapped and no longer presented an immediate danger, then they could've waiting for him to starve to death if that made the most tactical sense.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on May 26, 2022, 02:21:39 PMI don't see the issue here.  It doesn't sound like a situation in the other mass shooting where the cop was too cowardly to take on the shooter while the shooter was still shooting.  If the shooter were trapped and no longer presented an immediate danger, then they could've waiting for him to starve to death if that made the most tactical sense.
As I say, my point is more around the arming teacher thing.

But surely there's an urgency to get in as soon as you can to save lives? There'll be injured people who may survive if you get in quick enough.

My understanding is there is now a review by authorities (not sure who) of the police response in particular the timeline because earlier statements about the police exchanging fire with the shooter have since been proven to be untrue and there, reportedly discrepancies in accounts.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

This is a town of 13 000 people that spends half their municipal budget on police funding.

Money well spent.

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2022, 02:31:37 PMMy understanding is there is now a review by authorities (not sure who) of the police response in particular the timeline because earlier statements about the police exchanging fire with the shooter have since been proven to be untrue and there, reportedly discrepancies in accounts.

I obviously don't know the details of what happened in Texas.

Generally though, police (and even SWAT officers) are trained not to go in guns a-blazing, but to try and control and de-escalate the situation.  Their biggest priority is the safety of all involved - including the shooter and police.

That goes out the window though if the shooter is actively killing.  But by the time police arrived it's not clear what was going on.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 26, 2022, 03:08:25 PMShelf, no one here is arguing for arming teachers.

No one here is but the top law enforcement official in the state where this occurred is proposing exactly that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 26, 2022, 03:42:49 PMNo one here is but the top law enforcement official in the state where this occurred is proposing exactly that.

Sure, but that's like trying to argue with Syt's sisters.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 26, 2022, 04:43:19 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 26, 2022, 03:42:49 PMNo one here is but the top law enforcement official in the state where this occurred is proposing exactly that.

Sure, but that's like trying to argue with Syt's sisters.

It is also the only thing that has any chance of actually happening.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Gun Welfare?

Also, teachers with guns will just mean that murder-intending students will just need to take Teach's gun away instead of having to buy one.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 26, 2022, 03:08:25 PMShelf, no one here is arguing for arming teachers.
No, Fox News has recognized the absurdity of this.  It's better to argue for parents' responsibility in enrolling kids in a safe school.  That apparently makes more sense.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 26, 2022, 06:36:34 PMGun Welfare?

Also, teachers with guns will just mean that murder-intending students will just need to take Teach's gun away instead of having to buy one.
they ain't taking their guns but from their cold, dead hands...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Berkut on May 26, 2022, 02:08:42 PMI am curious about the reporting here. I suspect that once details are known, their actions won't seem so absurd.

The big issue seems to be the "pause" after the shooting ended and before they went in and killed him, of about 30 minutes. During which time, he was barricaded into the room.

Now, that sounds bad, but one report I read was that during that time, when he was contained, they were still evacuating the rest of the school and making sure it was secure. At that point, they don't know if he is the only shooter, and their priority is evacuating the rest of the building.

Letting some parents, as distraught as they are, go into the building, even if they want to break down that door themselves, is a fucking terrible idea for about half a dozen different reasons.

I would argue the priority of tactical police teams in this situation should be neutralizing the shooter(s). Eliminate the threat and you immediately ensure the physical safety of innocents. There are a lot of unknown details right now, but that above all should have been their priority.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.