Routine Shootings at US Schools and Universities Megathread.

Started by mongers, October 23, 2015, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

https://twitter.com/brenonade/status/1640514384735739904

QuoteRep. Tim Burchett (R-TN) on school shootings:

"We're not gonna fix it."

REPORTER: "Do you think there's any role for congress to play in reaction [to the Tennessee shooting]?"

BURCHETT: "I don't see any real role that we could do other than mess things up."

REPORTER: "What else should be done to protect people like your little girl?"

BURCHETT: "Well, we homeschool her."

Burchett on drag shows a few weeks ago: "We don't put up with that crap in Tennessee."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

So apparently guns are the leading cause of death for American children and teens, surpassing even cars: http://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/29/health/us-children-gun-deaths-dg/index.html

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2023, 04:33:45 AMhttps://twitter.com/brenonade/status/1640514384735739904

QuoteRep. Tim Burchett (R-TN) on school shootings:

"We're not gonna fix it."

REPORTER: "Do you think there's any role for congress to play in reaction [to the Tennessee shooting]?"

BURCHETT: "I don't see any real role that we could do other than mess things up."

REPORTER: "What else should be done to protect people like your little girl?"

BURCHETT: "Well, we homeschool her."

Burchett on drag shows a few weeks ago: "We don't put up with that crap in Tennessee."

I am not sure how one could mess up a school shooting. Seems already messed up to a maximum degree.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Reads to me that "mess things up" = "take people's guns away", and that's obviously off the table for the death cultist party.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 29, 2023, 10:02:25 PMReads to me that "mess things up" = "take people's guns away", and that's obviously off the table for the death cultist party.

Right. He doesn't want to do anything to piss off his lobby so he plays the "government only screws things up" card.

But the Republicans have spoken out about mental health and its impact on mass shootings before. They could do things in the mental health field without doing some big gun control law. They don't even want to do that though.

Of course they also blame video games so I guess I should be happy they aren't banning all violent video games or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josquius on March 28, 2023, 03:43:15 PMI've just got my fingers crossed this is another one where we will be able to finally relax on the bodies of dead boomers.

Maybe go to the doctor with that.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Jacob on March 29, 2023, 10:02:25 PMReads to me that "mess things up" = "take people's guns away", and that's obviously off the table for the death cultist party.

Yes  :yes:

There is no possibility for people's guns to be taken away; the USA has 336 million people many of whom are heavily armed; a proportion of these will have mental health problems or subscribe to extremist ideologies; therefore the mass shootings will continue at roughly the current rate.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2023, 10:22:09 PM

Right. He doesn't want to do anything to piss off his lobby so he plays the "government only screws things up" card.

But the Republicans have spoken out about mental health and its impact on mass shootings before. They could do things in the mental health field without doing some big gun control law. They don't even want to do that though.

Of course they also blame video games so I guess I should be happy they aren't banning all violent video games or something.

The only thing Republicans are willing to do is increase the number of arms, be that by arming teachers, deploying more police or turning schools into mini-fortresses. Anything but actually devising a sensible gun control policy.

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 30, 2023, 01:19:16 AM

Yes  :yes:

There is no possibility for people's guns to be taken away; the USA has 336 million people many of whom are heavily armed; a proportion of these will have mental health problems or subscribe to extremist ideologies; therefore the mass shootings will continue at roughly the current rate.

Yup, they're basically coming out in public tacitly admitting that they're fine with a certain number of kids and random innocents getting mowed down every year in order to keep the gun nuts happy.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on March 30, 2023, 03:59:19 AM

The only thing Republicans are willing to do is increase the number of arms, be that by arming teachers, deploying more police or turning schools into mini-fortresses. Anything but actually devising a sensible gun control policy.

That's how they fixed their President getting attacked & killed. It's a policy that can work.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 30, 2023, 06:08:02 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 30, 2023, 03:59:19 AM

That's how they fixed their President getting attacked & killed. It's a policy that can work.

What do you mean?

HVC

They gave guns to some tax collectors and made them the presidents bodyguard

*very over simplified :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on March 30, 2023, 06:45:40 AMThey gave guns to some tax collectors and made them the presidents bodyguard

*very over simplified :D

Are you talking about the creation of the secret service?