Routine Shootings at US Schools and Universities Megathread.

Started by mongers, October 23, 2015, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Syt on March 28, 2023, 07:59:54 AM

That's 3 out of ... how many?

The average one every two days I think, so 3 out of 43
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

I went to check and it's quite a shock that when putting "Denver shooting" on wiki you're given 4 different options... A bit difficult to know who they're referring to as "the Denver shooter".

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2023, 07:55:29 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 28, 2023, 07:49:59 AMAssault weapons are already banned.

Can't americans buy preban assault rifles? Or am I misremembering. Although I don't know how many would still be in circulation.

Regardless it wasn't used here so not really pertinent

Actually, I have to correct my statement; the federal Assault Weapons Ban Act expired after ten years, and thus in 2004.  The US currently, as far as I can tell, only bans the sale of assault weapons by state law.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2023, 08:02:25 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 28, 2023, 07:59:54 AM(snip)

That's 3 out of ... how many?

The average one every two days I think, so 3 out of 43

Now let's see what Benny -boys analysis would lok like if he replaced "identified as X" with "possessed a firearm."  What would that say about the gun fetish movement's contribution to terrorism?

I wonder why "just straight facts" Benny doesn't seem to make the proper connections.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

That includes gangs. Should stick to school shootings only.

Only in discussing America could I say that about mass killings. Both sad and funny.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Syt

I've mentioned this one before (in reference to the song "I don't like Mondays"), but I feel it bears repeating - maybe there's too many school shootings if:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

I have said before but I think Sandy Hook was the one that made me think America is, for want of a better word, irredeemable on this. If that wasn't prompt change, I just nothing will. And consequently we just have these regular horrors instead :(
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Last time To make a change was columbine. After that people got used to it and views became even more entrenched. Ain't nothing going to change unless a new black panther movement comes along (only thing white people with guns really fear is black people with guns) or, like I said, some group forms and starts picking off republican politicians.

Tamas

They cannot enact changes with this dead cult still getting so many votes. The only shot (haha) at it would be for Biden, Hillary and Obama to start plsing with assault rifles.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2023, 10:00:28 AMLast time To make a change was columbine. After that people got used to it and views became even more entrenched. Ain't nothing going to change unless a new black panther movement comes along (only thing white people with guns really fear is black people with guns) or, like I said, some group forms and starts picking off republican politicians.
You may be right that it was after Columbine when something could have happened. But I just don't understand how nothing happens after 6 and 7 years olds have been shot (far less that some of the families end up being libelled).

And as I say if that doesn't cause change then I just don't think anything will.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I've just got my fingers crossed this is another one where we will be able to finally relax on the bodies of dead boomers.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Good work by the two or three cops who responded first and managed to kill the attacker, because from the look of the security video the killer was acting in a very determined, organised way.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"