Large Hadron Collider could be on the verge of finding a parallel universe

Started by jimmy olsen, October 21, 2015, 05:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

If they do find a parallel universe, will we be the ones in the parallel universe, or will it be the people in the other one??   :huh:   :hmm:

Malthus

Quote from: KRonn on October 22, 2015, 09:24:43 AM
If they do find a parallel universe, will we be the ones in the parallel universe, or will it be the people in the other one??   :huh:   :hmm:

Check to see whether "your" Hitler has a moustache.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2015, 09:30:42 AM

Check to see whether "your" Hitler has a moustache.  ;)

Star Trek has taught us how that works.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

HVC

Does it work like a double negative? Like would evil Hitler be a good guy?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Crazy_Ivan80

yes

KRonn

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 22, 2015, 01:58:50 PM

yes

Agreed!   ;)

viper37

somewhere in a parallel universe, a team of scientist may be trying the same.  What if they succeed at the same time, at the same place? :huh:   :hmm:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2015, 03:46:46 PM

somewhere in a parallel universe, a team of scientist may be trying the same.  What if they succeed at the same time, at the same place? :huh:   :hmm:

The multi-verse view would state that not only are there universes where there are teams doing the exact same thing at the same time, there are an infinite number of them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

There are theoretically an infinite number of universes where Arizona wins the NCAA Championship every year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on October 22, 2015, 03:52:25 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2015, 03:46:46 PM

The multi-verse view would state that not only are there universes where there are teams doing the exact same thing at the same time, there are an infinite number of them.

I think the types of multi-verses they are talking about is where certain fundamental forces have more or less strength.  You couldn't go there because if you your atoms would all fall off.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2015, 04:03:47 PM
There are theoretically an infinite number of universes where Arizona wins the NCAA Championship every year.
If there is one where Stephen Harper won the election and the Habs are on a losing streak, I want to go there!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2015, 04:03:47 PM
no, that's so statistically improbable that even with infinity universes it would never come to be.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive