News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best national anthems

Started by Martinus, October 20, 2015, 03:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

By law the Colombian National Anthem ( ¡Oh Gloria Inmarcesible!) must be played at 6 AM and 6 PM on every radio and television station in Colombia.  Except for the little fanfare at the beginning and between the verses the tune is pretty forgettable.  The lyrics come from a poem by one of their better presidents, Rafael Núñez.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

The Ukrainian anthem lyrics are all about positive thinking:  "Ukraine hasn't died yet".

Valmy

The Polish one says the same thing. A common bit of wishful thinking of all of those who neighbor Russians.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Putin: "Yes, yes, we heard.  Working on it."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2015, 03:39:05 PM
God Save The Queen.   :bowler:

I always liked the title of Ukraine's anthem:  Shche ne vmerla ukraina - Ukraine is not yet dead.  Very uplifting title, that one.   :D

Doesnt' hold much hope for the future does it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2015, 03:50:10 PM
Let me take this opportunity to make my semi-regular rant that Maple Leaf Forever would be 100x better as our anthem than Oh Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxOhk4Lk9aE

ALthough obviously you'd take one of the versions where the lyrics weren't so much about stomping on the French...  :blush:

What do you like about this song?  Sounds like Mormon Tabarnacle Choir musak to me.

BTW, do French-Canadians snicker when they see the word Tabarnacle in English?

mongers

'God Save The Queen' is pretty widely regards as being poor, can't hold a candle to some of the others.

The best covers of it have been Queens fairly straight rendition, though Brian May recently did a better version while atop Buckingham palace. The Sex Pistols' 'tribute' to the national anthem, forget the songs name, was however much better.

Britain has better songs, saving that stupid rugby song, which isn't it's fault, but that it's been transplanted here.

La Marseillaise gets my vote, though the Russian one is not bad and the German one is quite stiring, but you have to watch the lyrics and the context within it's sung.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on October 20, 2015, 04:49:25 PM
The Sex Pistols' 'tribute' to the national anthem, forget the songs name, was however much better.

God Save the Queen

Eddie Teach

The Sex Pistols' 'tribute' to the national anthem, forget the songs name, was however much better.

I already said that and even linked the song.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 20, 2015, 04:52:29 PM

I already said that and even linked the song.  :(

I think it's one of the better things they did, plus it was brilliantly of it's time, McLaren FTW.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I seem to recall a similar thread a mere 4 years ago.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,5046.0.html

This one is better cause it has a dash of CdM in it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017