News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Histories greatest scienctists!

Started by Razgovory, October 18, 2015, 03:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I'm a bit biased toward physicists so I argue for James Clerk Maxwell, and Sir Issac Newton.  Also Dmitri Mendeleev in Chemistry.  Most Brilliant living one might be James Watson who along with is now dead colleague did more then anyone to prove Evolution by Natural Selection by discovering the mechanisms behind it.  Completely arbitrary of course, and because I'm bored.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Well obviously physicists are at the top of the pyramid.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Newton, for inventing or discovering gravity, the laws of motion, calculus, a telescope, some stuff about light, and the combination of fruit and cake.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

I was gonna say we have to get some women in but close enough.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on October 18, 2015, 03:44:15 PM
Raz, like the thread title but feel 'gratest , 'grateus' would have improved it.

edit:
I should add, I don't know enough about science to answer.  :blush:

Here is your answer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Drais

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on October 18, 2015, 03:58:56 PM

Well, Newton and Leonardo were both fags, so no need to get in a few barbs about Turing. ;)

Eddie Teach

Newton was a crazy religious celibate AFAIK.

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on October 18, 2015, 03:44:15 PM
Raz, like the thread title but feel 'gratest , 'grateus' would have improved it.

edit:
I should add, I don't know enough about science to answer.  :blush:

And the correct spelling of history's
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on October 18, 2015, 04:09:00 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 18, 2015, 03:58:56 PM

Well, Newton and Leonardo were both fags, so no need to get in a few barbs about Turing. ;)

They didn't enjoy his modern medical treatment.

alfred russel

Jesus turned water into wine, through processes not yet discovered by modern science. He must have been a hell of a chemist. Also he must have invented some crazy drugs based on the stories of his followers.

Honorable mentions:

-Han Solo, who made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs. Legions of nerds have pointed out that makes no sense, because parsecs are a unit of distance. What they fail to understand is Han Solo was a great scientist whose ship merged with space-time, equating distance and time. Also his ship could go light speed, which modern "scientists" can't figure out how to do.

-Geordi Laforge: Think the falcon was awesome for going light speed? This guy got his much bigger ship to go a multiple of light speed.

-The Jamaican Track Team Doctor: Logic says the fastest runners shouldn't all come from a shitty island in the Caribbean. Yet the Americans are the ones getting busted for drug use.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on October 18, 2015, 04:36:32 PM
-The Jamaican Track Team Doctor: Logic says the fastest runners shouldn't all come from a shitty island in the Caribbean. Yet the Americans are the ones getting busted for drug use.

Disagree.  Sugar plantation slave labor was accelerated Darwinism.

MadImmortalMan

Jesus turned water into wine, through processes not yet discovered by modern science. He must have been a hell of a chemist.

Add some yeast and grape juice.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 18, 2015, 04:39:55 PM

Disagree.  Sugar plantation slave labor was accelerated Darwinism.

Why would working on a Jamaican plantation result in better sprinters, but apparently not American plantations?

Also, I don't think there is really an evidence slavery had the impact you describe.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

:hmm: How is sprint performance being selected for with slavery on sugar plantations?  I'm not a farmer, but I'm pretty sure you don't harvest sugar beets by chasing them down and grabbing them.