And we're back!

Main Menu

Histories greatest scienctists!

Started by Razgovory, October 18, 2015, 03:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Josephus on October 18, 2015, 04:10:51 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 18, 2015, 03:44:15 PM
Raz, like the thread title but feel 'gratest , 'grateus' would have improved it.

edit:
I should add, I don't know enough about science to answer.  :blush:

And the correct spelling of history's

I was T-minus one nap-time.  I had an extremely short schedule.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on October 18, 2015, 06:45:01 PM
:hmm: How is sprint performance being selected for with slavery on sugar plantations?  I'm not a farmer, but I'm pretty sure you don't harvest sugar beets by chasing them down and grabbing them.

^_^
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on October 18, 2015, 06:45:01 PM
:hmm: How is sprint performance being selected for with slavery on sugar plantations?  I'm not a farmer, but I'm pretty sure you don't harvest sugar beets by chasing them down and grabbing them.

Sugar beets are slow, which is why there are few well-known East European sprinters.  Sugar *cane*, which was and is grown in the Caribbean and parts of the American South, is fast as lightning.

I do know that the mortality rate for slaves involved in sugar production was very high, I believe primarily in the cooking stage, when a lot of slaves suffered burns.  The rest is speculative.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 18, 2015, 04:10:08 PM
Newton was a crazy religious celibate AFAIK.

I didn't realize only heterosexual people can be celibate.  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on October 18, 2015, 05:35:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 18, 2015, 04:39:55 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 18, 2015, 04:36:32 PM
-The Jamaican Track Team Doctor: Logic says the fastest runners shouldn't all come from a shitty island in the Caribbean. Yet the Americans are the ones getting busted for drug use.

Disagree.  Sugar plantation slave labor was accelerated Darwinism.

Why would working on a Jamaican plantation result in better sprinters, but apparently not American plantations?

Also, I don't think there is really an evidence slavery had the impact you describe.

Maybe Jamaican slaves weren't lazy?

Eddie Teach

I didn't realize some hackademic* "reading between the lines" and outing a historical figure on little evidence made it so. /shrug

*Did I just coin this? That would be awesome. But unlikely.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Brazen

Brazen

I'll take this as a "name women scientists and engineers without mentioning Marie Curie" challenge:
Ada Lovelace
Margaret Hamilton
Hedy Lamarr
Rosalind Franklin
Dorothy Hodgkin

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Quote from: Brazen on October 19, 2015, 04:54:11 AM
I'll take this as a "name women scientists and engineers without mentioning Marie Curie" challenge:
Ada Lovelace
Margaret Hamilton
Hedy Lamarr
Rosalind Franklin
Dorothy Hodgkin

Yep, that covers them! Well done.

:P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

History's greatest scientists?

I will just post this:

Marty can tell you which ones are gay.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Meh, it's all relative or uncertain with some of these guys. And one of them has been mean to cats.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2015, 10:59:33 AM
Meh, it's all relative or uncertain with some of these guys. And one of them has been mean to cats.

:D
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 19, 2015, 01:06:30 AM
I do know that the mortality rate for slaves involved in sugar production was very high, I believe primarily in the cooking stage, when a lot of slaves suffered burns.  The rest is speculative.

Caramel babies are nice though.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.