And we're back!

Main Menu

Many killed in Ankara bomb blast

Started by Syt, October 10, 2015, 04:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJL

Quote from: The Brain on October 12, 2015, 01:42:45 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on October 12, 2015, 01:05:28 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not defending Erdogan at all, I just think that calling him Fascism is an obvious error.  Putin, today, comes very close to Fascism, and Erdogan might be slouching towards it, but still isn't there.

My impression is that Putin isn't an idealist.

Neither was Mussolini. And of course both of them changed their colours politically as well.

The Brain

Quote from: PJL on October 12, 2015, 01:46:24 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 12, 2015, 01:42:45 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on October 12, 2015, 01:05:28 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not defending Erdogan at all, I just think that calling him Fascism is an obvious error.  Putin, today, comes very close to Fascism, and Erdogan might be slouching towards it, but still isn't there.

My impression is that Putin isn't an idealist.

Neither was Mussolini.

:cry:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 12, 2015, 09:24:03 AM
David Cameron doesn't engage in corruption  and then have the investigating police force fired.  He doesn't order the routine jailing of journalists who criticize him. He doesn't give speeches about the natural inferiority of women.   He doesn't restart the Irish troubles to get a few extra Conservative votes.  He doesn't seek to overturn the British constitution.  He didn't hit up the taxpayer to swap 10 Downing street for a massive palace three times the size of Versailles.   He doesn't say insane things about over interest rate lobbies and twitter conspiracies, or claims about early medieval Cornishmen discovering America.

His party may be in same rubber chicken circuit as the Tories but they are not equivalent

So it is more like the statements and behavior of some House Republicans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2015, 03:13:57 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 12, 2015, 09:24:03 AM
David Cameron doesn't engage in corruption  and then have the investigating police force fired.  He doesn't order the routine jailing of journalists who criticize him. He doesn't give speeches about the natural inferiority of women.   He doesn't restart the Irish troubles to get a few extra Conservative votes.  He doesn't seek to overturn the British constitution.  He didn't hit up the taxpayer to swap 10 Downing street for a massive palace three times the size of Versailles.   He doesn't say insane things about over interest rate lobbies and twitter conspiracies, or claims about early medieval Cornishmen discovering America.

His party may be in same rubber chicken circuit as the Tories but they are not equivalent

So it is more like the statements and behavior of some House Republicans.

I must have missed the part of the Bush years when the NYT was shut down and Helen Thomas tossed in the clink.

It is more like if Michelle Bachman was elected President with a tea party 2/3 majority and the judicial branch disbanded.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Yeah, House Republicans, like I said.  They make all kinds of absurd statements.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Razgovory

Good for you.  Why don't you go purge some people for being insufficiently secular and thus a danger to Democracy.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2015, 05:38:09 PM
Good for you.  Why don't you go purge some people for being insufficiently secular and thus a danger to Democracy.
I think you're overestimating my power.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on October 12, 2015, 05:46:33 PM

He sees the superhero avatar and goes from there.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 12, 2015, 05:46:33 PM

Okay, now while I agree that things JR mentioned are bad.  But there caveats:  1, none have much to do with installing an Islamic state.  2.  These are the typical crimes of Turkish leadership.  The CHP and Kemalist leaders have committed similar crimes.  If the CHP was in charge and was doing the same thing, I don't think you or anyone else would be overly concerned with it.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on October 13, 2015, 03:05:57 AM
http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2015/10/turkey-armenian-kurds-minorities-forced-to-be-turkish.html#ixzz3oMpLFwtv

Fuck the middle east.  Hopefully when the entire region is ashes civilized people can move in.

Why would civilized people wish to live on ashen terrain?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?