News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Swedish hipsters mistaken for IS terrorists

Started by Syt, October 13, 2015, 04:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/13/police-called-as-bearded-hipster-group-mistaken-for-islamic-state-terrorists

QuoteBearded hipster group says police mistook them for Islamic State terrorists

A club of bearded men posing for a photograph in the Swedish countryside with their black flag was mistaken for Islamic State militants, prompting a visit by the police, a club member has said.

Andreas Fransson was with his friends on Saturday outside the ruins of Brahehus castle in southern Sweden when two police officers turned up.

"They told us that a motorist thought he had seen a gathering of Isis terrorists," said Fransson, whose Bearded Villains organisation does charity work.

On grasping the situation, the two officers "had a good laugh" and got back in their patrol car "with smiles on their faces", said Fransson who works in public relations.

He acknowledged that the club's flag – two crossed sabres on a black background – could easily be confused with that of the militant group.

"We belong to a club that is part of an association created in the United States, called the Bearded Villains and which fights against injustice, homophobia, racism and oppression," he said.

"The flag gets passed from club to club around the world and we take pictures with the flag to show our community," he said.

"It was a funny incident but it's a shame to be associated with Isis given our charity work."

Last week, an engineering school in southern France called Isis ran into trouble with Canadian customs agents worried over a possible link to the jihadist group.

:osama:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

I think the Swedish police have wrong priorities. Eradication of hipsters should be the world's primary concern.

Eddie Teach

Careful, the average cop would look at you and see a hipster.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Solmyr

I am growing a beard now. :unsure: Fortunately, mine is unlikely to reach the length required of either hipsters or IS terrorists.

garbon

Quote from: Solmyr on October 13, 2015, 08:12:25 AM
I am growing a beard now. :unsure: Fortunately, mine is unlikely to reach the length required of either hipsters or IS terrorists.

Too hard? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Archy

Valmy

QuoteWe belong to a club that is part of an association created in the United States, called the Bearded Villains and which fights against injustice, homophobia, racism and oppression

Huh? That doesn't sound very villainous at all. That sounds downright goody-two-shoes.

Oh right they are ironically called villains. But why is that ironic and the bearded part isn't? Is it ironically un-ironic?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2015, 10:14:22 AM
QuoteWe belong to a club that is part of an association created in the United States, called the Bearded Villains and which fights against injustice, homophobia, racism and oppression

Huh? That doesn't sound very villainous at all. That sounds downright goody-two-shoes.

Stop listening to villian propaganda. It is just a cover for their actual, villanous activities. It is double-ironic!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

I visited that castle a fair bit as a kid. No beardos around then.

The Brain

It sits on a beautiful spot with great views of lake Vättern (not shown).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2015, 02:04:12 PM

Or else it gets the hose again...? :unsure:

Josquius

I've been letting my beard grow this past month or two. Undecided on whether to keep it close to the face or try and go wizardy.
The ISIS jokes I recieve at work are many :(
██████
██████
██████

Archy

Quote from: Tyr on October 14, 2015, 10:14:29 AM
I've been letting my beard grow this past month or two. Undecided on whether to keep it close to the face or try and go wizardy.
The ISIS jokes I recieve at work are many :(
As long as it aren't hipster jokes :hug:

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on October 13, 2015, 05:27:04 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2015, 02:04:12 PM

Or else it gets the hose again...? :unsure:

No way.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Hamilcar

The sad part of this story is that the police actually reacted to a claim that there is an IS rally in a castle in Sweden. Furthermore, someone was so retarded that they looked at these guys and actually thought they might belong to IS.

WTF is wrong with people, don't they think anymore?