News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best national anthems

Started by Martinus, October 20, 2015, 03:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

My little brother used to think Carmen Ohio was the national anthem.

Because the public television used to play it before going off the air for the night.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on October 20, 2015, 03:42:32 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 20, 2015, 03:41:27 PM
We do, of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzZh6-h9fM

:thumbsup:

This sums up the best part about America to me - your anthem sucks, objectively, but the fact that you can reinterpret and reinvent it like this (and noone calls for Jimmy Hendrix to be arrested for this) speaks to what is great about you.

Wait, do people in Poland get arrested for making rock covers of the anthem or what? 

celedhring

The Spanish anthem is pretty meh. It also has no lyrics. There's just no way this country will ever find lyrics that everybody can agree on, which is something very Spanish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4p3CoNjv0

Syt

Austria is still struggling with rewording its anthem. Original wording: "You're the home of great sons." New wording: "Home of great sons and daughters." Many people still prefer the original version. Guess what side the FPÖ is on? :P

The heirs of the woman who wrote the lyrics for the anthem also tried to invoke copyright to block changing to the new version.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2015, 04:44:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2015, 03:50:10 PM
Let me take this opportunity to make my semi-regular rant that Maple Leaf Forever would be 100x better as our anthem than Oh Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxOhk4Lk9aE

ALthough obviously you'd take one of the versions where the lyrics weren't so much about stomping on the French...  :blush:

What do you like about this song?  Sounds like Mormon Tabarnacle Choir musak to me.

BTW, do French-Canadians snicker when they see the word Tabarnacle in English?

I pulled a link from work, with no sound.  Turns out that particular version is in fact done by the Mormon Tebernacle Choir.

I like it not in a vaccuum, but as one of the two leading contenders to be Canada's anthem back in the day.  Oh Canada is rather slow and solemn, whereas Maple Leaf Forever is much peppier and upbeat.  Well not so much in the version I linked to you.

Here's a much peppier version from the 2010 Olympic closing ceremony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYlCGQ628gE&feature=youtu.be&t=2h19m10s
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

meh

Nice Mountie themed T&A though.

crazy canuck

An edited version of the French anthem is good but the full version is way too long.  The US anthem strikes the right balance of length and story.

Razgovory

Bleh the US national anthem is lousy.  All our good songs involve crushing the rebels so can't be used.  The Battle Hymn of the Republic should be the national anthem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2015, 05:09:18 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 20, 2015, 03:42:32 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 20, 2015, 03:41:27 PM
We do, of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzZh6-h9fM

:thumbsup:

This sums up the best part about America to me - your anthem sucks, objectively, but the fact that you can reinterpret and reinvent it like this (and noone calls for Jimmy Hendrix to be arrested for this) speaks to what is great about you.

Wait, do people in Poland get arrested for making rock covers of the anthem or what?

King Jesus doesn't approve of Satan's music. And why should He?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

I like the French, Canadian and US anthems best, but admittedly I'm not that familiar with many others.