If you could have changed your name at age 8-9, what would you have picked?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 10, 2015, 06:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

The question above is inspired by the heartwarming story of Dr. Loki Skylizard.

The top seed in this year's Sithole Regional is Dr. Loki Skylizard, a cardiothoracic surgeon from New Jersey. If this name seems artificial, that's because it is--our top-seeded doctor was not born Loki Skylizard. Instead, the source who emailed us his name tells us that his parents let him and his sister change their own names around age eight or nine. Loki went with exactly the sort of name you would expect a nine year old boy to go with, and it stuck. He's been Loki Skylizard ever since.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on October 10, 2015, 07:01:37 AM
Probably something Star Wars related.

Yeah, probably "Han Solo" for me.

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" came out when I was 9.  Maybe I would have picked "Michigan." :alberta:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

PDH

I don't know about me, but my cousin wanted to change her name to "Twinkletoes" at about that age.  Her brother wanted to be called "Buster."
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Norman Dudenhoeffer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Ideologue

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 10, 2015, 07:53:14 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 10, 2015, 06:57:27 AM
Hannibal Barca.

I'm definitely not your father.   <_<

Well, I'm not sure what the actual content of this is, but it has the form of an insult, so I feel comfortable telling you to go fuck yourself. :huh:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on October 10, 2015, 12:41:13 PM
Hannibal Barca.

Well, I'm not sure what the actual content of this is, but it has the form of an insult, so I feel comfortable telling you to go fuck yourself. :huh:

You have been really touchy lately.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 10, 2015, 06:56:38 AM

If you could have changed your name at age 8-9, what would you have picked?

Didn't we all rather do this when we first registered here?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on October 10, 2015, 02:24:16 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 10, 2015, 12:41:13 PM
Hannibal Barca.

You have been really touchy lately.

The magic of Pittsburgh.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?