Thinking of getting a video card

Started by Razgovory, October 06, 2015, 08:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I'm considering buying a new video card for my PC.  I'll want to play Fallout 4 when it comes out and several games that were released this year I have not been able to play because my card is outdated.

Using the information from that "Can you run it" site, I have:

AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
8.1 GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Listen to whatever advice viper will give you.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

1. I don't suppose you know what kind of motherboard you have?

2. As mentioned, what's your budget?

3. As a good starting guide, I like this Graphics Card equivalency chart.  It attempts to rank GPUs to give you a basic idea of what is equivalent to what.  Not that it says not to bother upgrading unless you're moving up at least 3 categories.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on October 06, 2015, 08:37:48 AM
I'm considering buying a new video card for my PC.  I'll want to play Fallout 4 when it comes out and several games that were released this year I have not been able to play because my card is outdated.

Using the information from that "Can you run it" site, I have:

AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
8.1 GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

if you want more information about your system, I find this little software useful:
http://www.hwinfo.com/

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Okay did that.

My limit is 250, preferably lower.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

I'd humbly suggest a NVidia GTX 960.  It's what I bought looking at something at a similar price point.

So far it's been flawless at 1080p gaming, but would probably run into issues if you want to do something crazy like 4k or multi-screens.

crazy canuck

or even the GTX 970 if it is in your budget.

But as always, I would defer to Viper on this.

viper37

For less than 250$, I would recommend a Radeon 280x, faster than the GTX 960:
XFX for 219$
Refurbished Sapphire for 199$

The Sapphire is a good card, but it being refurbished it likely means there is less warranty on it (I haven't checked the details).

Usually, with AMD cards, you look for the ones with 2 or 3 fans, you avoid the default boards.  So, these cards here are imho pretty good for you.  If you want to go sub-200$, then look at the 270X.  It will be faster than your current card, but may not be enough to crank the resolution on newer games like Fallout 4.  Given the price differences I'm seeing (quick survey), I don't think it's worth it.
GTX 970 is a very good card, better than the 280x I proposed, but it's also over your 250$ budget.

I can't access Pcpartpicker now, so I haven't checked all the possible models and all the possible stores, so you may get a better deal on a slightly different 280x elsewhere.
Ealier benchmarkes may have indicated a problem with power consumption, but that has been fixed within their drivers.

Monoriu

GTX 970 cost me close to US$400 a year ago. 

Barrister

A very quick look had the 970X at something like $350 on Newegg US.

I have stuck with NVidia because they have an unfortunate tendency to cut deals with game makers to give them the latest access to proprietary NVidia tech.  Plus I think I read they tend to run cooler.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 06, 2015, 04:54:16 PM
I have stuck with NVidia because they have an unfortunate tendency to cut deals with game makers to give them the latest access to proprietary NVidia tech.
It really depends on the game.  See, Dragon Age Inquisition was badly optimized for Nvidia on release, but it had Mantle support (Mantle is now defunct, will be integrated in Vulkan later this year)

QuotePlus I think I read they tend to run cooler.
True, but it matters most to overclocker.  I find you usually pay a premium for Nvidia cards of similar performance to AMD.  But it varies, there's no absolute.  6 months from now, it might be different.  Maybe Fallout 4 will be better on nVidia for the first 3-4 months, maybe another game will work best on AMD, who knows.

Razgovory

I bought the  NVidia GTX 960, have some difficulty installing it.  It's a big motherfucker.  I had to move my hard drive.  Can't get the damn card to run.  I only have one 8 pin connector but it can't reach the card.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2015, 04:19:10 PM
I bought the  NVidia GTX 960, have some difficulty installing it.  It's a big motherfucker.  I had to move my hard drive.  Can't get the damn card to run.  I only have one 8 pin connector but it can't reach the card.

You ca buy extensions if need be.  Try Newegg or your Friendly Neighborhood Computer Store.

Razgovory

No place local.  I ordered them off Amazon.  I have prime, so they'll be here soon enough.  Don't know what the blue plug did but without it the computer doesn't work for shit.  So I learned something new! :D