Oregon shooting: Initial reports of 10 dead at Umpqua Community College

Started by Syt, October 01, 2015, 01:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 05, 2015, 09:23:10 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 05, 2015, 08:57:48 PM
Even so, guns are a pretty bad vehicle for suicide.  Those who fail to complete tend to be all fucked up.

The same could be said for most readily available methods.
jumping off a bridge usually does the trick.  Well, in the St-Lawrence, at least.  During winter.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2015, 02:35:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2015, 02:26:57 PM
I'm not hearing a great deal of thought put into the regulatory specifics.  In other words, what type of gun control is supposed to keep guns out of the hands of mass shooters?

Mandatory licensing in order to own firearms, requiring safety courses and background checks.

Bans on assault rifles and large capacity magazines.

Bans on carrying weapons in public places, open or concealed.

Ban private ownership of handguns.

Run afoul of the second amendment?  Probably.

Banning private ownership outright would certainly run afoul of the 2nd amendment.
The rest not necessarily.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

To elaborate on above, many NE states have mandatory licensing, bans on certain weapon or mag types, and/or carry bans; Supreme Court has not struck those laws down.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 06, 2015, 10:53:18 PM
Fucking 4chan <_<

http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2015/10/05/4channers-now-threatening-to-shoot-up-every-school-they-can-think-of-as-well-as-whoville-and-the-moon/

sounds like a guy with a stick up his ass re: 4chan. his whole site is devoted to hunting down internet misogyny. given gamersgate originated on 4chan, i'm sure he's been attacked / has attacked some people on 4chan in the past. 4chan is... interesting in a lot of ways, but none of those posts are threats. they're jokes.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

Quote from: viper37 on October 05, 2015, 08:49:42 PM

I am undecided if some guns should simply be totally banned or if they offer some value to reasonable people, but I wouldn't feel safe knowing that just about anybody in town could own a fully automatic assault rifle.

The citizenry doesn't need guns - there are professionals trained in their use that exist for that.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

LaCroix

Brazen

I have a shotgun licence for my musketeering activities. The application process takes at least six weeks and includes a reference from a GP or other professional who has known you for five years or more, and a home visit by a police firearms officer. If you keep a weapon at your property, it has to be securely bolted to a structural outside wall. None of my walls are strong enough, as witnessed by the inspecting officer pulling my gun mounting off the wall, so I can't keep one at home.

Firearms licenses for rifles etc. are even stricter, and most types of handguns were banned in the aftermath of the Dunblane Primary School massacre in March 1996.

The laws are so strictly enforced that even the GB  pistol team had to prepare abroad for the London 2012 Olympics and Home Secretary Charles Clarke had to give special permission for Olympic pistol events to be staged in the UK.

sbr

Quote from: Brazen on October 07, 2015, 07:35:28 AM
I have a shotgun licence for my musketeering activities. The application process takes at least six weeks and includes a reference from a GP or other professional who has known you for five years or more, and a home visit by a police firearms officer. If you keep a weapon at your property, it has to be securely bolted to a structural outside wall. None of my walls are strong enough, as witnessed by the inspecting officer pulling my gun mounting off the wall, so I can't keep one at home.

Firearms licenses for rifles etc. are even stricter, and most types of handguns were banned in the aftermath of the Dunblane Primary School massacre in March 1996.

The laws are so strictly enforced that even the GB  pistol team had to prepare abroad for the London 2012 Olympics and Home Secretary Charles Clarke had to give special permission for Olympic pistol events to be staged in the UK.

Well no wonder all the bad guys are running around shooting everyone up over there.

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on October 07, 2015, 07:08:54 AM
it's 4chan, what do you expect  :P

Honestly? No idea. Any particular reason I should know what to expect from 4chan?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?