News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So, what's the deal with Richard Glossip?

Started by Martinus, September 30, 2015, 03:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

How exactly are you judging this?  As far as I know you haven't been imprisoned for a long time or executed before.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2015, 04:17:35 PM
How exactly are you judging this?  As far as I know you haven't been imprisoned for a long time or executed before.
I'm making value judgment.  If you're not sure about someone's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, you should be neither executing the person nor sending them to prison for life.  In our judicial system, we don't determine sentences based on probability of guilt.  We don't go "Well, we usually give 20 years for armed robbery, but since we're only 50% sure you're actually guilty, we'll give you 10 years."

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2015, 03:20:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 30, 2015, 03:16:35 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2015, 03:11:49 PM
Is this the travesty of justice many media outlets make it to be, or is this more nuanced?

Here's a good summary:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2015/09/richard-glossip-and-the-death-penalty/408217/

My very quick take: convictions based on bought testimony are pretty dubious, but the "new evidence" being presented has no merit.  The conviction must either stand or fall on its own.

So you are fine with killing an innocent man because of procedural reasons? Wow.

Innocent from a legal standpoint? Surely even Polish courts don't try to ascertain truth, but rather if the accused is legally responsible or not.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 30, 2015, 04:23:49 PM
I'm making value judgment.  If you're not sure about someone's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, you should be neither executing the person nor sending them to prison for life.  In our judicial system, we don't determine sentences based on probability of guilt.  We don't go "Well, we usually give 20 years for armed robbery, but since we're only 50% sure you're actually guilty, we'll give you 10 years."

Yes, but the idea that being in jail is equivalent to being in jail seems odd.  Most people in prison don't commit suicide and often fight the death penalty. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

We don't go "Well, we usually give 20 years for armed robbery, but since we're only 50% sure you're actually guilty, we'll give you 10 years."

:shutup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2015, 04:40:04 PM

Yes, but the idea that being in jail is equivalent to being in jail seems odd.  Most people in prison don't commit suicide and often fight the death penalty.

Extremely odd.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Yes, but the idea that being in jail is equivalent to being in jail seems odd.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on September 30, 2015, 04:41:34 PM
We don't go "Well, we usually give 20 years for armed robbery, but since we're only 50% sure you're actually guilty, we'll give you 10 years."

:shutup:

Oh, yeah.  I forgot.

Eddie Teach

Yes, but the idea that being in jail is equivalent to being in jail seems odd. 

:hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

I suggest an experiment.  Execute Jaron, and send Timmay to jail for life.  After both sentences have been completed, ask them which was worse.

Oh, wait...

Fireblade

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 30, 2015, 04:02:10 PM
Quote from: Fireblade on September 30, 2015, 03:33:40 PM
Not only is he probably innocent, but Oklahoma is probably going to fuck up the execution and cause him to die slowly and painfully.

Fireblade!

Hamilcar!

I told you guys Oklahoma would figure out a way to fuck it up.

"Hey.. hey Cletus.. them thar protocols say we should use potassium chloride, but all we gots is this damn potassium acetate."
"Well hell Jim Bob, it's all potassium!"

Ideologue

I really don't understand why we can't just use a guillotine.  Call it a Freedom Blade or something if you have to.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on September 30, 2015, 03:47:52 PM
would it be much less of a tragedy if he were sent to prison for life on exactly the same evidence? 
yes it would.  For two things.
1) Eventually, there may be evidence the surface that would exonerate him and he'd still be alive.  He can be compensated with money for time served.  Eventually, if it costs too much, the State will adopt new practices to convict less innocents.
2) With death penalty and the system of elected prosecutor you have in the US, it becomes a media circus and the da will be tempted to push for death penalty, even if there aren't tons of evidence* because they want to be seen as tough on crime

*I suspect that when there is "a ton" of proofs, there is some plea deal going on to avoid death penalty.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 30, 2015, 10:28:57 PM
1) Eventually, there may be evidence the surface that would exonerate him and he'd still be alive.  He can be compensated with money for time served.  Eventually, if it costs too much, the State will adopt new practices to convict less innocents.

It's very unlikely there'd be any evidence that would "exonerate" him.  He's not charged with committing the murder, but rather with hiring the man who did commit the murder.  There's no DNA or forensic evidence that linked him to the murder, nor would there be if he did hire the killer.

As I said: either a conviction based on the word of the real killer who cut a deal to flip on Glossip in exchange for being spared the death penalty, or it isn't.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

Quote from: dps on September 30, 2015, 04:59:55 PM
I suggest an experiment.  Execute Jaron, and send Timmay to jail for life.  After both sentences have been completed, ask them which was worse.

Oh, wait...

Why me? :cry:
Winner of THE grumbler point.