Cereal cafe: Owner tells of 'witch hunt' that pelted windows with cereal/paint

Started by garbon, September 27, 2015, 03:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on September 27, 2015, 08:05:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2015, 07:29:00 PM
Also Anti-gentrification is abhorrent.  It's the romanticism of poverty and slums.

Yeah, I don't get this.  Heaven forbid we try to redevelop a section of town and make it safe and pleasant.

I.e., raise rents and purchase values so high that poor people can't live there, including the poor people who already do.  You don't get this because you don't want to get it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Anyway, I have no particular opinion on the cereal cafe, although it does fit in with my general anti-cafe animus.  I mean, at least $10 for a big-ass bowl of cereal involves some nutritional value.  Where did the $11 I spent on fancy bullshit coffee yesterday go?  My beleaguered pancreas, mainly.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 28, 2015, 02:18:19 AM
As ever we return to the basic problem, in the UK household formation is running at something like 250,000 a year and house building barely exceeds 100,000 units a year. This causes moderate problems in provincial places like Preston but is horrendous in London and the South-East. Lefties can blame gentrification and the right can blame immigration, but the essential problem is insufficient construction.

Why hasn't the market responded to the demand anf built more?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2015, 07:34:52 AM
As ever we return to the basic problem, in the UK household formation is running at something like 250,000 a year and house building barely exceeds 100,000 units a year. This causes moderate problems in provincial places like Preston but is horrendous in London and the South-East. Lefties can blame gentrification and the right can blame immigration, but the essential problem is insufficient construction.

Too strict building permit laws?

Martinus

I used to live in that area back in the late 1970s with a couple of nurses  :perv:, my share of the rent was £5 a week. But at the time the cockneys were making their way north-eastwards, the Jews had long gone, the Bangladeshis had not yet arrived and London had a declining population. It is a brilliant area to live in btw, I could never fathom its lack of popularity back then.

Is there some sort of a "communal flats" programme in the UK, where the municipalities build cheaper flats for rent? I am not talking necessarily about "council flats" for the very poor but more of subsidised flats for lower middle class people and the like.

Gups

Who knows? Some blame the green belt (land around big cities which can't be built on), some blame the developers for land banking, others the fact that property in London is seen as a safe haven so that when housing does come on line its bought by Asians and Russians as an investment - they don't even rent the property. The Economist had an article about it recently.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 28, 2015, 05:03:54 AM
Anyway, I have no particular opinion on the cereal cafe, although it does fit in with my general anti-cafe animus.  I mean, at least $10 for a big-ass bowl of cereal involves some nutritional value.  Where did the $11 I spent on fancy bullshit coffee yesterday go?  My beleaguered pancreas, mainly.

Rate is only about 1.5 dollars to £ right now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Link to an article on the subject in The Economist :

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21667973-britain-has-one-booming-market-could-do-crash-through-roof

There is one big plus, much of the countryside has been preserved, but apart from that it is a mess.

Martinus

The demand is much greater than the market's ability to supply (newsflash: land is a limited good), so in the absence of regulation there is really no point in reducing the price.

It is a classic example of a good fulfilling an important social role, where lack of regulation leads to a complete mess.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2015, 08:43:04 AM

The demand is much greater than the market's ability to supply (newsflash: land is a limited good), so in the absence of regulation there is really no point in reducing the price.

It is a classic example of a good fulfilling an important social role, where lack of regulation leads to a complete mess.

Um building is heavily regulated. That is why nothing gets built.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

By regulation I meant the requirement to build a given number of affordable flats rather than leaving everything to the most expensive / profitable land development.

This can be achieved in a number of ways, e.g. by doing it the way NYC is doing it, so requiring developers to dedicate a portion of flats to lower rent; or having the local and national governments actively involved in building affordable flats for rent.

Gups

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2015, 08:52:05 AM
By regulation I meant the requirement to build a given number of affordable flats rather than leaving everything to the most expensive / profitable land development.

This can be achieved in a number of ways, e.g. by doing it the way NYC is doing it, so requiring developers to dedicate a portion of flats to lower rent; or having the local and national governments actively involved in building affordable flats for rent.

Yes, we've had that for years. Mayoral policy is that at least 35% of units in any development over 10 (I think) units must be affordable. However, there are a number of ways that developers can get past this, generally on the basis of viability.

Ideologue

Iirc London has very stupid requirements re: height of buildings and obstructed views.
Kinemalogue