Cereal cafe: Owner tells of 'witch hunt' that pelted windows with cereal/paint

Started by garbon, September 27, 2015, 03:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Having seen the pic and understood the "concept" of the restaurant, I now fully support the attackers.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on September 27, 2015, 01:27:41 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 27, 2015, 01:07:20 PM
I can understand overpaying for somebody to prepare a meal for you, but this can only appeal to people dedicated to avoiding grocery shopping at all costs.

Or people who occasionally want a certain kind of cereal but don't want to buy a whole box of it that goes to waste after one or two servings.

Those boxes last a year and are cheaper than the bowl you get at the cafe.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Stupidest protest ever. Typical of this kind of xenophobic Britain first alike knob heads.

It is a silly cafe. I would never go there. But some people are, so fair play to the owners for managing to make a business out of something like this.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

I can understand overpaying for somebody to prepare a meal for you, but this can only appeal to people dedicated to avoiding grocery shopping at all costs.

Or people who occasionally want a certain kind of cereal but don't want to buy a whole box of it that goes to waste after one or two servings.

A box of cereal costs about 2 quid at Tesco. These shitheads are selling one bowl of it for 5 quid.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2015, 01:37:54 PM

A box of cereal costs about 2 quid at Tesco. These shitheads are selling one bowl of it for 5 quid.

In that case it's an idiot tax.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on September 27, 2015, 01:38:50 PM

Maybe things are different in Poland - but I find that things in cafes are more expensive than if I bought them in 'bulk' at a grocery store.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2015, 02:12:11 PM

Maybe things are different in Poland - but I find that things in cafes are more expensive than if I bought them in 'bulk' at a grocery store.

I've noticed this too. I thought I was the only one! :hug:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Yes, but 5 pounds for a bowl of cereal seems excessive.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on September 27, 2015, 02:16:05 PM

Yes, but 5 pounds for a bowl of cereal seems excessive.

Well here are the actual prices:

AMERICAN CEREALS S-£3 M-£3.7 L-£4.4
BRITISH CEREALS S-£2.5 M-£3 L-£3.5
GLOBAL CEREALS S-£3 M-£3.7 L-£4.4

Not sure how they would be expected to stay in business if they charged less in central London.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Well, in Central London there may be enough people willing to pay those prices. I still find them slightly insane. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jaron

I don't think it is excessive at all. Or at least no more excessive than your standard restaurant. A local establishment offers a bowl of oatmeal for 2.99 and my local Walmart will sell me an entire container of oatmeal for 3.99. (which contains god knows how many bowls - I've never been able to finish one)

Plus this cereal killer place has bowl sizes, milk and toppings. If nothing else, you're paying a small premium for not having to need to stock the entire box, not buy an entire container of milk, and not have to purchase/prepare any toppings like 'nananas, strawberries, blueberries, etc. A small container of blueberries in the US can run you as much as 5.00.

If you don't agree with the concept, why not just eat there?

If this ever happened in America, the owner would have mowed the entire crowd down with an automatic weapon and been praised for doing so.

Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on September 27, 2015, 02:24:38 PM
Well, in Central London there may be enough people willing to pay those prices. I still find them slightly insane. :P

A grande chai latte in central London costs like 3 pound 35 and that's not even a meal. :D

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on September 27, 2015, 02:26:14 PM
A small container of blueberries in the US can run you as much as 5.00.

Can you check with DG on pricing for a large container?