That Guy Who Price-Gouged AIDS Patients Did It to Kids with Kidney Disease

Started by jimmy olsen, September 24, 2015, 12:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: sbr on December 18, 2015, 12:15:40 PM
I doubt it's a money making gimmick, they could have made a lot more money if they released that album to the public like normal.
Uncertain these days unless you've a particularly technically inept fanbase (*cough* Adele *cough*)
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on December 18, 2015, 12:59:40 PM
I doubt it's a money making gimmick, they could have made a lot more money if they released that album to the public like normal.
Uncertain these days unless you've a particularly technically inept fanbase (*cough* Adele *cough*)

How exactly do you determine the technical proficiency of the fanbase?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Could they really have?

A quick googling suggests their last album didn't sell very well.  Wu Tang Clan is long past their musical heyday.

This gave them a guaranteed payday, plus got them loads more publicity than simply releasing an album traditionally would have.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 18, 2015, 01:29:01 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 18, 2015, 12:59:40 PM

How exactly do you determine the technical proficiency of the fanbase?
Age, education level, that sort of thing.
I actually have seen studies that suggests rock music fans tend to be the most intelligent of folk :smarty:
No idea about Wu Tang Clan but I presume with the love of mixes  that rap fans aren't too bad.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 18, 2015, 03:46:41 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 18, 2015, 02:32:39 PM

And where do you find these stats?

The same place he finds the facts he argues with here; he uses rectal extraction.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on December 18, 2015, 11:55:58 PM

The same place he finds the facts he argues with here; he uses rectal extraction.
:o How does it all fit in there?

Martinus

His arrest is the best Christmas gift yet.

It would be karmic if he got AIDS in prison but couldn't afford the medication.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I'm not getting your line of questioning here.
Where do you get any statistics? You'd have do a study (or find one already done).
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on December 19, 2015, 02:22:00 AM
His arrest is the best Christmas gift yet.

It would be karmic if he got AIDS in prison but couldn't afford the medication.

Ymmv but I don't really care about him at all.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on December 19, 2015, 09:47:04 AM

I'm not getting your line of questioning here.
Where do you get any statistics? You'd have do a study (or find one already done).

Let's say I find it unlikely you've found a study comparing technical know-how among the fans of various artists, Adele in particular, and proffer an alternative hypothesis: She sells more records because she has more fans, not because her fans don't know how to listen for free.

The Brain

Just do the math. Shit Goat has around 10 fans. They have sold zero records. Scale that to Adele numbers of sales to get her number of fans? Not enough people in the universe.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

Looks like his deal was defrauding people to get them to invest in a company, then would use their money to pay back creditors/angry investors from previous companies he ran that had failed. Definitely a "ponzi-like" scheme, and thus he's probably looking at serious time. The government tends to take a dim view of self-dealing and many many counts of lying to investors about your financials. This is more like Madoff than it is Martha Stewart, so he could be looking at serious incarceration time. I mean in a world where Raj Rajaratnam didn't defraud investors and "only" committed the crime of doing lots of insider trades and he got over a decade, and that was more of a Wall Street insider case that didn't get a ton of press. Shkreli on the other hand was a press villain before he ever got arrested, and defrauded people out of money on multiple occasions.