That Guy Who Price-Gouged AIDS Patients Did It to Kids with Kidney Disease

Started by jimmy olsen, September 24, 2015, 12:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

as an american, i'm OK with the US making necessary sacrifices to benefit the world

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2015, 05:34:23 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 27, 2015, 05:05:56 PM
So?

So Canadians are free riding.  I thought I was making this pretty clear.

You have a weird obsession with the idea that someone, somewhere is free riding.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: LaCroix on October 27, 2015, 05:36:08 PM
as an american, i'm OK with the US making necessary sacrifices to benefit the world

If we do, it should be on the backs of taxpayers rather than consumers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2015, 08:20:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2015, 08:17:37 PM
You have a weird obsession with the idea that someone, somewhere is free riding.

So ossum

I'm curious though, does you outrage at free riding extend to the banning of open shops and heavy punishments for environmental damage?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2015, 08:22:56 PM
I'm curious though, does you outrage at free riding extend to the banning of open shops and heavy punishments for environmental damage?

Which outrage would that be Raz?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2015, 08:27:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2015, 08:22:56 PM

Which outrage would that be Raz?

I can't help fee that you are unhappy about the idea of Free Riders.  Posting history indicate you are deeply concerned about the "free rider problem".

Fate

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 27, 2015, 08:20:05 PM

What makes you think it's not already on the backs of taxpayers?

Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, and Obamacare probably add up to be the vast majority of healthcare spending dollars in the US.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2015, 08:37:38 PM
I can't help fee that you are unhappy about the idea of Free Riders.  Posting history indicate you are deeply concerned about the "free rider problem".

I thought I was supposed to be obsessed and outraged.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Fate on October 27, 2015, 08:48:51 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 27, 2015, 08:20:05 PM

Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, and Obamacare probably add up to be the vast majority of healthcare spending dollars in the US.

I've always thought that the problem isn't so much that we don't have government-provided healthcare, but that we mostly do, it's just a completely effed-up, half-ass'ed system.  Or maybe 2/3's-ass'ed.

grumbler

I think that, for free riding to occur, you'd have to show that the phrma companies were willing to sell to Canadians (and others) at near-marginal-cost, and that the Canadians and others knew those costs well enough to free-ride.  I don't think either case is proven.  It is entirely possible that the different costs of drugs is driven by different willingness to pay, and that occurs in any market.

Not that the pharma market is really a market as we understand it.  Restrictions on market entry and on buyer entry make this a highly distorted market not very subject to market generalizations.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Fate on October 27, 2015, 08:48:51 PM

That I'm not on any of those.  :mad:

Not that this necessarily has any relation to the costs of drugs, but I just paid 1200 bucks for new contact lenses. 3 years ago, they were 750. :bleeding:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 27, 2015, 09:56:28 PM
Not that this necessarily has any relation to the costs of drugs, but I just paid 1200 bucks for new contact lenses. 3 years ago, they were 750. :bleeding:
Hopefully the new ones will be more gentle on the eyes. :pinch: