News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Yogi Berra

Started by Syt, September 23, 2015, 06:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Well the stock character was loved by all. The excellence on the baseball field is only appreciated by baseball people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2015, 11:27:19 AM
Well the stock character was loved by all. The excellence on the baseball field is only appreciated by baseball people.

While he was in later years portrayed as a kind uncle, I understand his performance on field was quite fierce.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on September 24, 2015, 11:38:17 AM
I understand his performance on field was quite fierce.

He was the cornerstone of the greatest dynasty in American sports history for a reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Yogi Berra appeared in 14 World Series (and helped lead his team to 10 championships) in his 19-year career.   53% of his seasons as a pro ended with a world championship!  That's one of the most astonishing records in sports, and almost assuredly will never be broken.

One of the most telling facts about him is that Marti is the only person in history who has ever had a negative thing to say about him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on September 24, 2015, 11:54:07 AM
That's one of the most astonishing records in sports, and almost assuredly will never be broken.

Well he had a contemporary who did. Bill Russell. I guess the equivalency depends on what you think about the NBA during that era.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2015, 12:00:50 PM
That's one of the most astonishing records in sports, and almost assuredly will never be broken.

Well he had a contemporary who did. Bill Russell. I guess the equivalency depends on what you think about the NBA during that era.

Equivalent in the sense that they were/are both extraordinary men on and off their field of play

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 24, 2015, 12:18:13 PM

Equivalent in the sense that they were/are both extraordinary men on and off their field of play

I meant the equivalency of their championship runs, not as people

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2015, 12:41:33 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 24, 2015, 12:18:13 PM

I meant the equivalency of their championship runs, not as people

And I mean equivalency as both.

KRonn

RIP

I guess it really is over....    :(

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 24, 2015, 01:45:40 PM

Yes but I meant something different.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2015, 02:21:49 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 24, 2015, 01:45:40 PM

Yes but I meant something different.

ok, but lets take the discussion about whether basketball championships were equivalent to baseball world series wins somewhere else.  Only Grumbler and JR can answer that.  Grumbler because he has first hand knowledge and JR based on his encyclopedic knowledge of baseball.

The Brain

At least Baseketball had Victoria Silvstedt.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

IMO its a little easier to have dynastic runs in basketball but that is a another discussion.  The comparison to Russell overall though I think is apt; both played "central" positions on a dynasty and were recognized by contemporaries as having bigger impact than their already impressive numbers would suggest.

The Stengel era Yankees dynasty always interested me because Mantle aside, the frontline talent wasn't as impressive as the Yankees of the murderers row era or 1936-41 teams.  Those 50s teams were full of role players, platoon players, and guys whose names are only familiar to hard core fans - McDougall, Woodling, Bauer, Carey, Coleman, Skowron, Cerv, Collins, Noren, Blanchard, Siebern, Dr. Bobby Brown. After Whitey Ford, the pitching situation was similar - guys like Tommy Byrne, Larsen, Sturdivant, Kuzava, Kucks, Terry, Ditmar, who had a few good years pitching for the Yankees, mostly washing out elsewhere.  When you look at those teams and the players cycling in and out over the decade, it's hard to conceive how they were so dominant year after year.  Stengel himself gave credit to Berra, the writers of the time concurred, and its hard to avoid the fact of pitching staffs overachieving on their talent. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 24, 2015, 10:45:32 PM
IMO its a little easier to have dynastic runs in basketball but that is a another discussion.  The comparison to Russell overall though I think is apt; both played "central" positions on a dynasty and were recognized by contemporaries as having bigger impact than their already impressive numbers would suggest.

The Stengel era Yankees dynasty always interested me because Mantle aside, the frontline talent wasn't as impressive as the Yankees of the murderers row era or 1936-41 teams.  Those 50s teams were full of role players, platoon players, and guys whose names are only familiar to hard core fans - McDougall, Woodling, Bauer, Carey, Coleman, Skowron, Cerv, Collins, Noren, Blanchard, Siebern, Dr. Bobby Brown. After Whitey Ford, the pitching situation was similar - guys like Tommy Byrne, Larsen, Sturdivant, Kuzava, Kucks, Terry, Ditmar, who had a few good years pitching for the Yankees, mostly washing out elsewhere.  When you look at those teams and the players cycling in and out over the decade, it's hard to conceive how they were so dominant year after year.  Stengel himself gave credit to Berra, the writers of the time concurred, and its hard to avoid the fact of pitching staffs overachieving on their talent.

I was more-or-less named after Stengel. -_-

I still despise the Yankees though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

I bet you do, they use to fleece the old KC team.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson