News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Yogi Berra

Started by Syt, September 23, 2015, 06:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2015, 04:30:07 PM
Wow, the guy sounds like a twat. Even if the character's name is based on his, I fail to see how this would constitute defamation of character.

In any case, by now the name "Yogi Bear" is better known globally than "Yogi Berra" by a magnitude of at least 10.

Not in north america I would say.

His one-liners are just so classic.  "It's like deja vu all over again".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

The Yogi quote best geared to this forum: "Even Napoleon had his Watergate."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Oh look, Marty's classing up another RIP thread.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

In any case, by now the name "Yogi Bear" is better known globally than "Yogi Berra" by a magnitude of at least 10.

Maybe your world

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Wow, the guy sounds like a twat. Even if the character's name is based on his, I fail to see how this would constitute defamation of character.

Hey Marty: Fuck you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Marti, I think you're looking for the psychopath thread.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2015, 08:42:11 AM
For a moment I was scared Yogi the Bear died.
He's the man the bear was named after.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 23, 2015, 09:43:03 PM

It's not his fault, he grew up in classless society.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on September 23, 2015, 09:54:45 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 23, 2015, 09:43:03 PM

It's not his fault, he grew up in classless society.
:lol:

alfred russel

It must be confusing to Marty...crapping on people in their rip thread has been done on languish before. How would he know the guy who sued Yogi the Bear was respected and loved? Aside from reading the other posts in the thread, or a quick google, of course.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 23, 2015, 07:21:49 PM

Maybe your world

That's why I said globally. Pretty sure most people in Europe or Asia haven't heard of Yogi Berra (or in fact any baseball players) - whereas most have seen Yogi the Bear cartoons.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2015, 04:55:13 PM

Not in north america I would say.

His one-liners are just so classic.  "It's like deja vu all over again".

Were they deliberately construed to be ironic/funny?

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on September 23, 2015, 10:09:28 PM
It must be confusing to Marty...crapping on people in their rip thread has been done on languish before. How would he know the guy who sued Yogi the Bear was respected and loved? Aside from reading the other posts in the thread, or a quick google, of course.

Well, all I said is that someone who sues Yogi the Bear sounds like a twat. I will take your word for it that outside of this one thing, he was a swell guy. But my point still stands - outside of North America, most people haven't heard of him.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on September 23, 2015, 10:09:28 PM
He didn't sue Yogi the Bear, he sued Warner Brothers, not exactly the same thing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point