News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rugby World Cup 2015

Started by Pedrito, September 20, 2015, 04:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

Strange no one started a thread about it yet: knockout stage started three days ago, and the first round of game ended tonight.

Some minor surprises (New Zealand suffering against Argentina, as always they suffer when not playing on home turf),
some major, major ones (South Africa losing against Japan: I just finished watching the highlights of the match, and the last ten minutes are priceless),
and some certainties: Italy sucks at the game.  <_<

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Liep

I commented on the Japanese v. SA game in the misc. sports thread, but yeah this probably deserves its own thread. So far I've only seen England do okay, Ireland own, Japanese surprise, Samoa kick American ass, and Italy not doing much.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

It might help if you said what sport is involved.

citizen k

Agelastus

Quote from: citizen k on September 20, 2015, 05:00:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2015, 04:45:44 PM

Rugby.

To be precise, Rugby Union... :contract:

Not that League crap...  :yucky:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Grey Fox

Canada got destroyed. I watched France beat Italy. Good game but it is so slow.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Gups

Japan v South Africa was just brilliant. One of my all-time sporting highlights.

The Brain

What is rugby? Bring back the old thread title.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Agelastus on September 20, 2015, 05:04:45 PM
Quote from: citizen k on September 20, 2015, 05:00:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2015, 04:45:44 PM

Rugby.

To be precise, Rugby Union... :contract:

Not that League crap...  :yucky:

To be even more precise : Rugby Union = played with 15 players on each side. Rugby League = played with 13 players and somewhat closer to gridiron.

Grey Fox

Next year only Rugby 7 will be of interest to anyone.

Delirium

I like rugby more and more, compared to the cynical circus of football that is the Premier League nowadays (not to mention the Spanish and Italian leagues). Rugby still feels genuine in so many ways (respect, sportsmanship and what I have you) and I try to watch as many games as I can each world cup (which was hard last time being in New Zealand). I actually watched the whole South Africa - Japan game and it, especially the ending with the Japanese decision to go for the try instead of the safer option of kicking for the tied game - and then actually SCORING against all odds - with crying Japanese fans in the stands and all - was one of the best sports moments I have ever experienced. A genuine upset and accompanying emotions like that is something you would have to go back a long time to find in the world of football...
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Syt

Quote from: Delirium on September 21, 2015, 01:00:33 PM
I like rugby more and more, compared to the cynical circus of football that is the Premier League nowadays (not to mention the Spanish and Italian leagues). Rugby still feels genuine in so many ways (respect, sportsmanship and what I have you) and I try to watch as many games as I can each world cup (which was hard last time being in New Zealand). I actually watched the whole South Africa - Japan game and it, especially the ending with the Japanese decision to go for the try instead of the safer option of kicking for the tied game - and then actually SCORING against all odds - with crying Japanese fans in the stands and all - was one of the best sports moments I have ever experienced. A genuine upset and accompanying emotions like that is something you would have to go back a long time to find in the world of football...

Denmark in the Euro '92? EDIT: Greece in 2004?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Greece win '04 was achieve thru boredom.

Delirium

Denmark in 92 is a good call, and they took Yugoslavia's spot so were not even supposed to be in the tournament.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan