News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Computer is dead

Started by Monoriu, September 17, 2015, 04:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Boot computer up.  Says CPU fan error.  Press F-something to get into something called BIOs?  Then save and exit without changing anything.  Blue screen.  Says hardware error. 

If I choose a bootdrive inside the bio-thing, Windows boots up.  But the fan gets increasingly loud and crazy, and the CPU gets really hot.  Even if I successfully get Windows to work, I can't really do anything.  The mouse slows down to a crawl.  Nothing loads, not even IE.  If I leave it, the computer either depowers itself, or a blue screen takes over.  Says uncorrectable hardware error. 

I think the only way is to drag it to the shop. 

Barrister

Um, yeah, that doesn't sound good.  I'd bring it in.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Yep, bring it in. Possibly just needs a new fan, and maybe some coolant paste. But yeah, overheating can damage your components so I would take care of it a.s.a.p.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on September 17, 2015, 04:16:58 PM
It's a fan problem, causing your CPU to overheat, then all sorts of problem.
Drag it to the shop, even in HK, you must have these things called "warranty"? ;)  So, have him fixed it for free.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on September 19, 2015, 02:36:54 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 17, 2015, 04:16:58 PM
It's a fan problem, causing your CPU to overheat, then all sorts of problem.
Drag it to the shop, even in HK, you must have these things called "warranty"? ;)  So, have him fixed it for free.

I hope you are right.  My assumption is that the motherboard is dead. 

And I HATE dragging it to the store.  My body disintegrates after the exercise. 

Caliga

No.  If the motherboard was dead you wouldn't get as far as you did when you boot up.  Like the error message said, your CPU fan failed or is failing.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

If something is dead (other then a fan, the likely culprit), it's the CPU.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on September 19, 2015, 09:23:02 AM
My body disintegrates after the exercise. 
that means it's time to start training ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Monoriu

Macs are not compatible with...large scale anime acquisition procedures  :ph34r:

Trying to manage the computer people from Taiwan.  They say the cooler is dead and will give me a free replacement.  :showoff: :showoff:

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on September 20, 2015, 05:20:44 AM
Macs are not compatible with...large scale anime acquisition procedures  :ph34r:
Yes they are compatible:
http://www.qbittorrent.org/download.php

Gaming though, not gonna happen.

Barrister

Trying to manage the computer people from Taiwan.  They say the cooler is dead and will give me a free replacement.  :showoff: :showoff:

Replacing the CPU cooler though... it's not the easiest thing in the world. :ph34r:

viper37

of course, if the Mac breaks somewher, you have to change the entire box.  Much easier.  Also more expensive.

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2015, 09:58:22 AM

Replacing the CPU cooler though... it's not the easiest thing in the world. :ph34r:

They'll do it for me.