'Can You Prove You're Not A Potential Terrorist?'

Started by mongers, September 16, 2015, 09:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2015, 09:35:12 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 16, 2015, 09:34:26 AM
How times change. When I was a kid, I brought a home-made crossbow to school. No-one batted an eyelid.  ;)

When I was a kid we got suspended for playing spades at school. Because it leads to gambling you see.

I wish you were around here.  No one plays spades anymore. :(

Poor kid.  If we had a total surveillance state, of course, he'd never have been arrested, since competent analysts working at a centralized location and alerted by the threat detection algorithms, rather than idiot school officials and local yokel police, would have determined that he was making a clock.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

The letter they sent to the school community is pretty infuriating, too, inasmuch as--probably as an attempt to avoid admitting liability--it doesn't admit fault or apologize, but instead exhorts parents to talk with their kids about the school code of conduct regarding prohibited items and also for students to remain vigilant and report suspicious items and actions to the school authorities.  What a joke.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 16, 2015, 04:32:57 PM
He's been released :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34266389

Getting some nice attention off Obama, Zuckerberg etc etc
You may that that this is working pretty well for him.  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

PRC

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2015, 05:29:25 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2015, 04:51:50 PM
I wish you were around here.  No one plays spades anymore. :(

Hearts is a better game.
High Low Jack was our school game of choice, and far superior!  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Scipio

I stabbed a kid in the ear with a pen because I thought he stole and hid my backpack. We're friends now, but it turns out he was trying to help get the backpack back for me.

Yeah, I was a psychotic dick.

Fuck Texas.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Scipio

To be clear, based on modern standards of evidence, I can't even prove I'm not a potential rapist.

Fuck life.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Scipio on September 16, 2015, 09:23:59 PM
To be clear, based on modern standards of evidence, I can't even prove I'm not a potential rapist.

Fuck life.
:unsure: Are you drunk?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 16, 2015, 04:32:57 PM
He's been released :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34266389

Getting some nice attention off Obama, Zuckerberg etc etc

Yeah, he got invites to the White House, Facebook and Google, and from some other Silicon Valley people. :thumbsup:

If he met with Obama, Zuckerberg and the others in one place and THEN actually detonated the bomb, it would have been the best terrorist plot ever. :P

Syt

Remember the shoe bomber? They should detain all students who wear shoes. Might be bombs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Syt on September 17, 2015, 12:58:28 AM
Remember the shoe bomber? They should detain all students who wear shoes. Might be bombs.

There was an underpants bomber too  :P

Martinus

Incidentally, predictably, there is a second level to this story - apparently the mayor of Irving is an right wing moron who is on a crusade against the sharia law being imposed in Texas:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/ahmed-mohamed-beth-van-duyne-sharia

It's very predictable, isn't it? Behind every racist cop abusing his powers there seems to be a moronic conservative politician enabling him.

mongers

Sad to see the local cops doubling down on the stupidity by saying students shouldn't bring odd looking things to school. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on September 17, 2015, 07:35:15 AM
Sad to see the local cops doubling down on the stupidity by saying students shouldn't bring odd looking things to school.

In the ago of zero tolerance, it ain't bad advice.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive