'Can You Prove You're Not A Potential Terrorist?'

Started by mongers, September 16, 2015, 09:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 22, 2015, 08:02:25 AM
Actually, nobody I've heard has accused the teacher of overreacting.  If one is looking at that and doesn't know what it is, freaking out is absolutely not unreasonable.  Most of the complaints I've heard (and voiced myself) are leveled at the police and the school administration.

• They did NOT follow bomb scare protocol.
  • They threatened to press charges because they weren't "satisfied" with Mohamed's explanation, even though it was clearly NOT a bomb, and he clearly did not CLAIM it was a bomb.  How can you have a hoax bomb that's neither a bomb nor a hoax? :unsure:
The English teacher had a somewhat valid point, because she couldn't know what a bomb really looked like.  However, it is pretty clear that she didn't believe that this was an actual bomb because she took possession of it and kept it on her desk for a period of time - not the reaction of someone who thinks they are dealing with an explosive.

Then, of course, there is the long delay while the school bureaucracy convinces itself that this is a bomb scare, in spite of the fact that they have precisely zero evidence to believe there was any bomb scare or threat intended.  The cops get involved here somehow, either sharing or creating the panic of the administrators, and the administrators and cops proceeded to break the law in their panic and anger.

It is unclear to me whether the cops were incompetent or vicious.  The administrator, though, was pretty clearly guilty of malfeasance, what with his insistence that, contrary to law, the kid couldn't call his parents until he confessed to the fraudulent criminal charges, and then his abetting the false arrest and child abuse.

THAT's the story that hasn't been well-told, because bozos like Dawkins and HuffPo's writers are shitting up the news cycles with extraneous crap about whether the kid properly used the term "invent."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

How dare they get hung up on definitions and totally miss the main point for the trivial. They are honing in on our speciality!   :mad:

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on September 22, 2015, 09:32:13 AM
How dare they get hung up on definitions and totally miss the main point for the trivial. They are honing in on our speciality!   :mad:

;)

Exactly.  HuffPo is trying to break our rice bowl!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadBurgerMaker

The school wasn't evacuated because they didn't think it was a real bomb:

QuoteWeaver also said Thursday that school officials did not actually believe the clock was a bomb and that's why there was no evacuation of the school.
"It was determined very quickly that this was not an explosive device. However, it had the perception that could have been, which is why we had to take action. Students are prohibited from bringing things to school that could be perceived as a threat," Weaver said.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Teen-Arrested-for-Hoax-Bomb-Wont-Return-to-MacArthur-High-328129461.html

frunk

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 22, 2015, 10:48:14 AM

QuoteWeaver also said Thursday that school officials did not actually believe the clock was a bomb and that's why there was no evacuation of the school.
"It was determined very quickly that this was not an explosive device. However, it had the perception that could have been, which is why we had to take action. Students are prohibited from bringing things to school that could be perceived as a threat," Weaver said.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Teen-Arrested-for-Hoax-Bomb-Wont-Return-to-MacArthur-High-328129461.html

Can't anything be "perceived as a threat"?  I'm pretty sure I can be quite menacing with a spoon.

MadBurgerMaker

Well that would probably be things more along the lines of fake guns and apparently Radio Shack clocks from 1985 shoved into a pencil case that are "threatening" just by being there, but if you were acting like a crazy person with your spoon, I'm sure you would get sent to the office.  You'd get smoked by the SWAT team if it was a spork.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 22, 2015, 10:48:14 AM

:lol:  I found that funny.  I forgot how stupid highschool can be.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2015, 09:46:16 AM
Quote from: grumbler on September 22, 2015, 09:18:49 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2015, 07:56:51 AM
Which is exactly the point Dawkins made, no?
the motive of the id

Motives, John!  Motives of the id!

Motives of the id are going to be this year's moths of begging.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2015, 11:10:13 AM
the motive of the id

I dunno.  It's just a reference to Forbidden Planet.  I thought it was cute.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2015, 11:43:50 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2015, 11:10:13 AM
the motive of the id

I dunno.  It's just a reference to Forbidden Planet.  I thought it was cute.

I liked it for what it was (which was a Forbidden Planet joke). :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.