'Can You Prove You're Not A Potential Terrorist?'

Started by mongers, September 16, 2015, 09:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I originally read this story on the daily mash. Didn't know they also posted stupid real stories so thought it was just a joke.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Well, Scip's friends in Mississippi seem to think this is actually some sort of conspiracy by the liberal, Muslims and the President to further Islamize the US or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tyr on September 17, 2015, 12:44:18 PM
I originally read this story on the daily mash. Didn't know they also posted stupid real stories so thought it was just a joke.

I keep on telling myself that we live on a planet of more than 7 billion people and that the shitty stories rise to the top. In other words one million American kids showed off their science/electronics projects last year and nothing untoward happened, but by the rules of chance there was almost bound to be a place where the local authorities were sufficiently clueless for something as silly as this to occur. Its a bit like a lottery, because of the vast number of participants the highly unlikely happens almost every week.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2015, 04:51:50 PM
I wish you were around here.  No one plays spades anymore. :(

It's still the top game in prison, AFAIK. :)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 17, 2015, 08:51:17 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 17, 2015, 07:35:15 AM
Sad to see the local cops doubling down on the stupidity by saying students shouldn't bring odd looking things to school.

In the ago of zero tolerance, it ain't bad advice.

I remember when they imposed "zero tolerance" in our schools.  Not about bombs of course, but about drugs.  A kid who brought aspirin to school was to be treated the same if he brought in heroin.  I soon learned that "zero tolerance", meant that teachers didn't want to make decisions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

Ok, I gotta say, having seen the clock looking like this:

The teacher may have overreacted and the kid was obviously innocent, but that does look like a bomb (or at least it does not look like a clock).

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

I have to admit that it does look like a shit clock, so all the accolades he's getting seem a bit over the top.  I can get a far better clock for $10 at a corner store.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on September 19, 2015, 11:44:18 PM
I soon learned that "zero tolerance", meant that teachers didn't want to make decisions.

Bingo.

Josquius

A friend of mine does have a bit of a conspiracy theory going that it was pre-meditated by him/his father, knowing the stupid conservative locals would over react at a muslim with something that looks like a bomb, and knowing/hoping the inevitable media attention would lead to good things for the kid.
I'm doubtful to say the least. But it is quite a nice little theory.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2015, 12:35:46 PM
A friend of mine does have a bit of a conspiracy theory going that it was pre-meditated by him/his father, knowing the stupid conservative locals would over react at a muslim with something that looks like a bomb, and knowing/hoping the inevitable media attention would lead to good things for the kid.
I'm doubtful to say the least. But it is quite a nice little theory.

Yeah, that seems to be going around in the US amongst the loonies.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 20, 2015, 10:49:15 AM
Ok, I gotta say, having seen the clock looking like this:

The teacher may have overreacted and the kid was obviously innocent, but that does look like a bomb (or at least it does not look like a clock).

Looks like someone opened up a modem or something.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.