Is another holocaust-scale genocide possible?

Started by Syt, September 14, 2015, 05:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJL

I'm living in what the British thought the Soviets would consider a high priority target (highest outside Central London) for nuking but apparently the Soviets didn't consider here a target.

Syt

In one of the last WP exercises published in the papers in the 90s, my old hometown was a first strike tactical nuke target; probably due to its stockpile of nuclear artillery munitions.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2015, 09:01:18 PM
Quote from: Norgy on September 15, 2015, 08:07:23 PM
Oh, look, Raz is off his meds again.

Oh is there something objectionable I said here?

Yeah I was wondering the same. For all the threads in which you post crazy shit, this one is pretty much normal.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Monoriu on September 15, 2015, 07:17:12 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 15, 2015, 06:01:25 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 15, 2015, 05:55:41 PM
I think another genocide is likely, actually I think it is only a matter of when and where.  But my chance of being killed in a genocide is pretty small.  The chance of developing cancer or being hit by a car is much greater, so I am not going to worry about this.

Do you worry that you might take part in a genocide?

Or for that matter, might any of us in some way enable one perhaps?

I probably can't lift a gun, so no  :lol:

what about a machete?

Monoriu

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 16, 2015, 05:15:05 AM
I think another genocide is likely, actually I think it is only a matter of when and where.  But my chance of being killed in a genocide is pretty small.  The chance of developing cancer or being hit by a car is much greater, so I am not going to worry about this.

what about a machete?

I think a machete is even more difficult to use than a gun. 

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Monoriu on September 16, 2015, 05:44:11 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 16, 2015, 05:15:05 AM

what about a machete?

I think a machete is even more difficult to use than a gun.

How do you know that?  :tinfoil:

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2015, 05:51:57 PM
Yeah, the other groups are pretty small.  I think Valmy is basing his impressions on Indians living in the US or other Western countries.

Small? There are millions of them. I am basing my impressions on how actual Indian society and government functions instead of seeing a few headlines when things go wrong and start dreaming up wet dreams of constant ethnic violence. Imagine if somebody did that regarding headlines about Missouri.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2015, 04:55:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2015, 04:47:57 PM
What three major religions do they have?

Sikhism (though Wiki suggests that there are more Christians in India than Sinkhs).

Right right. I meant Christians. Percentages do not really work when discussing religion in India. Even religions with small national percentages could totally dominate a region or state politically.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2015, 08:31:41 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2015, 05:51:57 PM
Yeah, the other groups are pretty small.  I think Valmy is basing his impressions on Indians living in the US or other Western countries.

Small? There are millions of them. I am basing my impressions on how actual Indian society and government functions instead of seeing a few headlines when things go wrong and start dreaming up wet dreams of constant ethnic violence. Imagine if somebody did that regarding headlines about Missouri.

Er they have done that about Missouri.  One kid was shot and Missouri has become a byword for a racist police state.  These "few headlines" about India are constant occurrences.  Indian society and government do not function very well.  Corruption is endemic and poverty is atrocious.  I'm not sure why these things are true, but they are.  India's economy is often compared to South Korea's.  They both started at around the same level after decolonization but South Korea became a first world economy and India stagnated.  India also has Maoist rebels for some reason.  They manage to launch some fairly spectacular attacks.

In short, the fact that India exists should not be an indicator that ethnic violence is not a serious problem.  India's society is defective, it's government incompetent, and it's leading political party is rancid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

The quest for German domination was premised on the denial of science. Hitler's alternative to science was the idea of Lebensraum. Germany needed an Eastern European empire because only conquest, and not agricultural technology, offered the hope of feeding the German people. In Hitler's "Second Book," which was composed in 1928 and not published until after his death, he insisted that hunger would outstrip crop improvements and that all "the scientific methods of land management" had already failed. No conceivable improvement would allow Germans to be fed "from their own land and territory," he claimed. Hitler specifically — and wrongly — denied that irrigation, hybrids and fertilizers could change the relationship between people and land.

The author takes pains to correctly point out that Hitler was wrong in his assessment, but then goes on to ask if similar pressures will make it happen again. Nazi Germany couldn't feed its people because of dogmatic, archaic and somewhat romantic view of agriculture. Their ideal farm was a quasi-feudal fantasy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

I think it's wrong to say it was based on the denial of science.  I mean people were concerned about overpopulation then and still are.  Serious people take these ideas seriously.  In the 1970's the Population bomb was an influential book.  I wouldn't call it a "denial of science".  Fortuntaly everyone from Malthus to Ehrlich have been dead wrong and efforts to combat overpopulation have proven worse then the "disease".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017