Is another holocaust-scale genocide possible?

Started by Syt, September 14, 2015, 05:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2015, 04:55:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2015, 04:47:57 PM
What three major religions do they have?

Sikhism (though Wiki suggests that there are more Christians in India than Sinkhs).

Yeah, the other groups are pretty small.  I think Valmy is basing his impressions on Indians living in the US or other Western countries.  I don't think those people are very representative of the general population there.  It's like Dguller.  He's not a good representative of the typical Russian.  For instance he's not completely psychotic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

I think another genocide is likely, actually I think it is only a matter of when and where.  But my chance of being killed in a genocide is pretty small.  The chance of developing cancer or being hit by a car is much greater, so I am not going to worry about this. 

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on September 15, 2015, 05:55:41 PM
I think another genocide is likely, actually I think it is only a matter of when and where.  But my chance of being killed in a genocide is pretty small.  The chance of developing cancer or being hit by a car is much greater, so I am not going to worry about this.

Do you worry that you might take part in a genocide?

Or for that matter, might any of us in some way enable one perhaps?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

I dunno, Mono.  The CONPLAN's probably been amended by now to include Hong Kong.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2015, 05:51:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2015, 04:55:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2015, 04:47:57 PM
What three major religions do they have?

Sikhism (though Wiki suggests that there are more Christians in India than Sinkhs).

Yeah, the other groups are pretty small.  I think Valmy is basing his impressions on Indians living in the US or other Western countries.  I don't think those people are very representative of the general population there.  It's like Dguller.  He's not a good representative of the typical Russian.  For instance he's not completely psychotic.
:blush:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on September 15, 2015, 06:03:35 PM

I dunno, Mono.  The CONPLAN's probably been amended by now to include Hong Kong.

Nukes don't discriminate, so not genocide.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on September 15, 2015, 06:01:25 PM

I probably can't lift a gun, so no  :lol:

Unless you define enabling as not stopping it, not taking action against it.  I refuse to accept such a definition though. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 15, 2015, 06:17:40 PM

I actually spent some time worrying about WWIII as a kid.  I have gotten over my fear of nuclear weapons already.  I am far more likely to die in a traffic accident or some sort of ailment. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on September 15, 2015, 07:17:12 PM

Unless you define enabling as not stopping it, not taking action against it.  I refuse to accept such a definition though.

Genocides need paper pushers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2015, 07:24:18 PM

/shrug.  There are a gazillion of things to worry in life.  I am going to be selective and not worry about something as remote as this.  I may as well worry about an alien invasion.  I better spend my time and attention to worry about something worthwhile, like stock market movements. 

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2015, 07:24:18 PM

Yes, the accounting can be a bitch.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Norgy

Ed Anger

Quote from: Monoriu on September 15, 2015, 07:23:21 PM

I actually spent some time worrying about WWIII as a kid.  I have gotten over my fear of nuclear weapons already.  I am far more likely to die in a traffic accident or some sort of ailment.

I lived right next to a prime target. STOP WITH THE BOMBING RUSSIA JOKES MR. PRESIDENT.

I was in the die very quickly area.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Norgy on September 15, 2015, 08:07:23 PM
Oh, look, Raz is off his meds again.

Oh is there something objectionable I said here?

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 15, 2015, 08:49:00 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 15, 2015, 07:23:21 PM

I lived right next to a prime target. STOP WITH THE BOMBING RUSSIA JOKES MR. PRESIDENT.

I was in the die very quickly area.

When they dug up those Minuteman missiles back in the 1990's one was only about 20 miles from my house.  I was in the "not a fucking chance zone".