What is the best film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Started by jimmy olsen, September 13, 2015, 06:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which are the two best MCU films?

Iron Man
6 (22.2%)
The Incredible Hulk
0 (0%)
Iron Man 2
1 (3.7%)
Thor
8 (29.6%)
Captain America: First Avenger
0 (0%)
The Avengers
8 (29.6%)
Iron Man 3
1 (3.7%)
Thor: The Dark World
1 (3.7%)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6 (22.2%)
Guardians of the Galaxy
18 (66.7%)
Avengers: Age of Ultron
0 (0%)
Ant Man
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

jimmy olsen

Phase 2 is over, so it's time to take stock.

I couldn't decide between Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy , so everyone gets two votes! :w00t:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Hamilcar

I've seen a few of them on planes, and TBH they all sort of blend together.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Liep on September 13, 2015, 07:05:16 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on September 13, 2015, 06:36:45 AM
I've seen a few of them on planes, and TBH they all sort of blend together.

:yes:
Wrong. The best of them like Guardians of the Galaxy and The Winter Soldier will be remembered 30 years from now, like Raiders of the Lost Ark. Others like Iron Man 2 have already been thrown onto the trash heap of history.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

If only there were more of them in the works for the coming years. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Guardians is a hands-down choice.  Thankfully, nobody in the cast was so big that they were playing a caricature of themselves (*coughrobertdowneyjrcough*).  The Winter Soldier was good, but it felt like a 2-hour lead-in to the fall of S.H.I.E.L.D.  For capping storylines, I much preferred Iron Man 3, with Tony having the arc reactor removed and tossing it in the ocean after the House Party Protocol.  I also preferred that the writers remembered Tony is fallible and not supposed to be an ideal hero, dealing with a clear case of PTSD after the Chitauri invasion.

Completely agree that Iron Man 2 was crap, though.  War Machine was the only good thing to come out of that movie.
Experience bij!

dps

Oh no, is Timmay going to start doing movie reviews?  That'll be worse than Ide doing them.

Well, not literally worse, of course, in that nothing is worse than Ide's tastes in movies, but worse in that if Timmay gets on a reviewing kick, he'll do a lot more of them than Ide does.  Or he'll just cut and paste 20,000 word reviews from dubious internet sources.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: dps on September 13, 2015, 07:45:08 AM
Oh no, is Timmay going to start doing movie reviews?  That'll be worse than Ide doing them.

Well, not literally worse, of course, in that nothing is worse than Ide's tastes in movies, but worse in that if Timmay gets on a reviewing kick, he'll do a lot more of them than Ide does.  Or he'll just cut and paste 20,000 word reviews from dubious internet sources.

He'll either cut and paste Rotten Tomatoes with a couple words about how he agrees or disagrees, or he'll do the same with IMDB user reviews.
Experience bij!

Ideologue

Quote from: dps on September 13, 2015, 07:45:08 AM

:blurgh:

You probably hate Sidney Lumet just as much as Joan Robinson does.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zanza

I found all those comic films dull and repetitive after the first three or five I watched on planes. I skip them these days. I guess I liked X-Men best, but they are not in this poll. Maybe they belong to the other comic brand?

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on September 13, 2015, 08:00:38 AM
I found all those comic films dull and repetitive after the first three or five I watched on planes. I skip them these days. I guess I liked X-Men best, but they are not in this poll. Maybe they belong to the other comic brand?

They're all Marvel, but Marvel doesn't have the movie rights to them. Same with Fantastic Four and Spiderman.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are borderline cases - in the comics they're Magneto's kids and obviously mutants. However, they were also active on the Avengers, so Marvel got to use them in Age of Ultron. Except they needed a new origin, because Marvel can't use mutants in their movies.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

I guess Hami's right in a certain way, though.  They're distributed on a pretty standard curve.

12. Captain America: Winter Soldier (5/10)
11. Iron Man 3 (5/10)
10. Captain America: The First Avenger (6/10)
9. The Avengers: Age of Ultron (6/10)
8. Incredible Hulk (6/10)
7. Iron Man 2 (6/10)
6. Thor: The Dark World (6/10)
5. The Avengers (7/10)
4. Iron Man (8/10)
3.  Guardians of the Galaxy (8/10)
2.  Ant-Man (9/10)
1.  Thor (9/10)

Love that Ant-Man and Thor.

Quote from: ZanzaI found all those comic films dull and repetitive after the first three or five I watched on planes. I skip them these days. I guess I liked X-Men best, but they are not in this poll. Maybe they belong to the other comic brand?

After the troubles at Marvel in the late 1990s, Fox got the rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four, and Sony got Spider-Man (in a bit of trivia, last I heard Universal has the rights to Namor).  Fox has successfully prosecuted their X-Men franchise, so that'll remain separate for what amounts to forever, which I think is absolutely the best case scenario (even if the shared universe in the comics has arguably been a net positive, the mutant stories and regular Marvel superhero stories have always existed in a kind of tension with each other).

Really, I'm kind of surprised Fox hasn't followed Sony's lead and reached a co-production agreement with the FF, given their bizarre inability to do anything worthwhile with the characters.  They'd also fit perfectly well into Disney's Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

They are Marvel characters, but they were released by Fox, not Marvel. I agree they are better films overall, I also like the first two Raimi Spider-Mans a lot.

I would go with Guardians among the films listed. Both Cap films and the first Thor are pretty good, though.

Disclaimer: haven't seen Ant-Man.

dps

No, you're correct.  X-Men (and Spiderman as well) are Marvel, but Timmay for some reason didn't include them in his poll.

And I'd agree with you that X-Men is the best film version of a Marvel comic, at least of the one's I've seen.  But I haven't seen most of them.

EDIT:  Ah, Ok, I see.  It's not film adaptations of Marvel Comics, it's the one's produced by Marvel.  Largely a meaningless distinction for the viewing audience.