News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Long May She Reign - Queen Elizabeth II

Started by mongers, September 08, 2015, 08:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Archy

Someone spent some money to celebrate and get ill in the process  :D

QuoteQueen Elizabeth II: Slice of monarch's 1947 wedding cake sold at auction for £500

A slice of the Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip's wedding cake has been sold at auction for £500, almost 68 years after the couple were married. The piece of fruit cake, still wrapped in it's original packaging, dates back to the Queen's wedding in 1947. Due to its high alcohol content, it is also believed that the cake is still edible almost 70 years later.

The cake slice had been kept in its original condition by an unnamed woman from Hove, East Sussex, whose father had been a guest at the royal wedding on 20 November 1947. The slice was sold at Gorringes Auction House in Lewes, East Sussex yesterday (2 September 2015) for £500. Auctioneer Philip Taylor stated that the piece of cake could have sold for as much as £1,750 had it still been in perfect condition.

"A number of these pieces have come on the market in recent years. I've identified four or five in the last six years. We anticipated there would be interest," he said. "Ours is a little damaged so we were prudent with the estimating. We suggested it could make £300-£500. Others have made a lot more. One in fact made £1,750 but that was in perfect condition. We sold this one for £500," added Taylor.

The auction comes as Queen Elizabeth II is set to become Britain's longest reigning monarch on 9 September, surpassing the record of 63 years held by her great-great grandmother Queen Victoria.

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Crazy_Ivan80

poor woman, going through life without a name

Agelastus

Quote from: Syt on September 09, 2015, 04:59:22 AM
Pop quiz: which other British monarchs had reigns of 50 years or more?

Specifically British or does English count? In which case add Henry III and Edward III to George III mentioned above.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on September 08, 2015, 11:02:59 PM
If Carlos is a wise king, he'll abdicate in favor of William. William is probably the only member of the family who can restore the honor and dignity of the monarchy if Elizabeth II is gone.

Pretty sure Elizabeth II will be succeeded by George V.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2015, 12:39:42 PM
If Carlos is a wise king, he'll abdicate in favor of William. William is probably the only member of the family who can restore the honor and dignity of the monarchy if Elizabeth II is gone.

:unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2015, 01:09:47 PM

:unsure:

Typo that should be VII. Damn
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

George V returning from the dead might restore some of the fear for the monarchy people have been lacking for awhile now though.

Malthus

She will be succeeded by her own father, back from the grave?  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2015, 01:12:49 PM

She will be succeeded by her own father, back from the grave?  :(

Grandfather ;)

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

He was a stamp collector and one of the most boring, but decent, men in Europe apparently; a fine king.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.