What two religions tell us about the modern dating crisis.

Started by jimmy olsen, August 30, 2015, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2015, 11:50:08 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on September 02, 2015, 04:11:52 AM
The titles don't constitute a peerage. They're bought and sold just like real estate by the looks of it. They're a social distinction for people with more money than sense by the looks of it.

You are buying a government recognized hereditary title are you not? Aren't they trying to phase those out the British way, as slowly as possible?

Pretty sure that the UK is not trying to do away with hereditary titles.  Life peers in the House of Lords, yes, but that's slightly different.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2015, 11:55:30 AM
Pretty sure that the UK is not trying to do away with hereditary titles.  Life peers in the House of Lords, yes, but that's slightly different.

One hereditary title has been awarded since 1964, to Maggie's husband I think, and that was not even a peerage. Pretty sure they are satisfied just seeing all those male lines just die out over time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Archy

Is it now Elisabethan times? Like the Victorian times of old.

Josquius

Interesting.
Its weird how these things work, it goes deeper than just demographics too- in differing times and places somebody can be a catch or a reject.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2015, 11:16:41 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 01, 2015, 11:08:09 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2015, 06:30:17 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on September 01, 2015, 06:24:52 AM
excess of 33% again the average national income should at least get you "upper class", right?

I don't see why that would be the case.

You'd need a peerage as well, perhaps a baronetcy at a pinch.

:lol:

I just looked an apparently 27k is the median personal wage in the US. I think it would be a very big mistake to say someone make $38k in the US would be rich...though I could certainly see how in certain communities/contexts that could be the case.

I was rich. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)