News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Ambassador

Started by Phillip V, June 24, 2009, 10:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Is it a great job? I have read several times of politicians leaving big jobs like state governorships, latest being Utah Gov. Huntsman, and running off to some other country as a new Ambassador. What are the incentives?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Out of the country during bad political times...then they can swoop back in with their army and set things right.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

It can be a nice sinecure when you are tired of the grind of elected office.  You don't necessarily need much in the way of education or diplomatic experience unless you are posted to an important country.  Decent pay and low expectations unless, again, you are posted somewhere that matters.
PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 24, 2009, 10:26:59 AM
It can be a nice sinecure when you are tired of the grind of elected office.  You don't necessarily need much in the way of education or diplomatic experience unless you are posted to an important country.  Decent pay and low expectations unless, again, you are posted somewhere that matters.

That is why that veteran German politician Klaus von Below-Saleski was so happy to be posted to Belgium in 1914.  Nothing important to Germany ever happens in Belgium, talk about a cushy job.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2009, 10:30:56 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 24, 2009, 10:26:59 AM

That is why that veteran German politician Klaus von Below-Saleski was so happy to be posted to Belgium in 1914.  Nothing important to Germany ever happens in Belgium, talk about a cushy job.
He probably made a fortune off the loot he commanded his staff to gather during hte invasion.
PDH!

KRonn

Quote from: PDH on June 24, 2009, 10:11:27 AM
Out of the country during bad political times...then they can swoop back in with their army and set things right.

:unsure:

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: Phillip V on June 24, 2009, 10:04:12 AM
Is it a great job? I have read several times of politicians leaving big jobs like state governorships, latest being Utah Gov. Huntsman, and running off to some other country as a new Ambassador. What are the incentives?

Depends on the country.  Some ambassadorships are quite important (and thus are typically given to career diplomats), while some are quite "cushy" and given as a golden parachute to a departing politician.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Iormlund

So it's sort of like becoming a Member of European Parliament here?

DisturbedPervert

Lots of opportunities to make potentially very profitable business connections.

sbr

Diplomatic Immunity.  :ph34r:

Phillip V

Do Ambassadors usually know the language of the country they are sent to?

Barrister

Quote from: Phillip V on June 26, 2009, 02:07:01 PM

Not usually I would think, but it is an important factor to consider.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Quote from: Phillip V on June 26, 2009, 02:07:01 PM
The last US ambassador to Germany didn't speak a word of German.