Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2015, 04:55:19 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 14, 2015, 04:40:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2015, 04:21:22 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 14, 2015, 04:13:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2015, 04:07:32 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 14, 2015, 03:42:10 AM
Americans don't understand that world does not revolve around their cultural context. Film at 11.

A bit odd given that this incident stemmed from non-Americans commenting on books about US race relations.

:huh: The Washington Post (and I guess quite a few of the twitterstormers) is American.

Which came about because of the insensitive way that the Dutch commenters handled their commenting on books about American race relations.

Yeah the American outrage industry had nothing to do with it. :lol:

I don't see what is outrageous in taking issue with this. :mellow:

Does anyone think it's outrageous that they are outraged?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Warspite on August 14, 2015, 04:57:03 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 14, 2015, 04:50:10 AM

Even if the European black person does not know English?

That will be one of the few English words they do know.

Not necessarily. Not all of them get their few English words thanks to hip hop.
They are much more likely to be offended by the equivalent slur or derogative term in the language they speak.

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on August 14, 2015, 04:29:59 AM
Americans don't understand that world does not revolve around their cultural context. Film at 11.

I'm willing to make a substantial wager that if you called a European black person a nigger, they'd punch you in the face just as soon as an American black person.

There are many words that, when used against another person in a similar situation, would generate a similar reaction. That is not to say that using the word in abstract in a non-English language publication in a non-English country should be seen as offensive.

The word "nigger" plays a special role in the US public discourse that other derogatory words such as "faggot", "cunt" or "kike" do not. It has become a taboo and no other word comes close. This is the cultural context I was talking about and it is justified by US history. It's similar to Germany banning the use of swastika - yet you do not see German newspapers writing articles about other countries' media using a swastika in their local publications.

The Brain

I now understand that Swedish band Clawfinger are horrible racists and homophobes. With songs like (***Trigger Warning***) Nigger and The Faggot In You it is obvious to me now that they are. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Why did a Dutch language newspaper put a headline in English in the first place?

Valmy

I will get on the Dutch as soon as Americans stop expressing their racism about a million times a day on social media.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: dps on August 14, 2015, 06:31:36 AM
Why did a Dutch language newspaper put a headline in English in the first place?

You can find out under the link - this is apparently a quote.

Believe it or not but European media sometimes use foreign words and expressions in their articles. Sometimes the readers can even understand and pronounce the words correctly.

celedhring

Reminds me of when I posted a photo of a Spanish demo and people on here were surprised that Spanish people would hold signs with "STOP!" written on them  :P

Razgovory

Actually it does.  Otherwise you wouldn't be going on about Game of thrones.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Maybe he decided public proof of his drunkenness is a bad thing.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

alfred russel

The article, for reasons I don't understand, included the tweet:

"I have no idea how my Black Dutch friends get through the day. These aren't microaggressions, this is outright violence."

I goggled the author, Siddhartha Mitter, who apparently went to Havard and worked for the Boston Globe, so it seems he should be smart...But then he has such an odd understanding of what constitutes outright violence. And then was quoted in an article discussing language usage.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 14, 2015, 04:45:01 AM
I am outraged by Brain's slanders against my country.  :mad:
Meh it's the brain, i don't think we would want him complementing us.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son