News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Debate #1

Started by jimmy olsen, August 04, 2015, 10:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 13, 2015, 02:38:42 PM
Berkut, honest question.  Why do you think South Africa had Apartheid?

To grant the proud peoples of South Africa their own independent countries?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

In 1982, a massive star ship bearing a bedraggled alien population, nicknamed "The Prawns," appeared over Johannesburg, South Africa. Twenty-eight years later, the initial welcome by the human population has faded. The refugee camp where the aliens were located has deteriorated into a militarized ghetto called District 9, where they are confined and exploited in squalor. In 2010, the munitions corporation, Multi-National United, is contracted to forcibly evict the population with operative Wikus van der Merwe in charge. In this operation, Wikus is exposed to a strange alien chemical and must rely on the help of his only two new 'Prawn' friends.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Because libertarianism.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

To keep others from having it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on August 13, 2015, 02:36:18 PM
I have a right to bear arms, but what if nobody will sell me a weapon because I'm the wrong race?  In practice I do not have that right.

That's a what-if that won't ever happen, though.  If you have the money, somebody will sell you a gun, even if you live in a society where you don't have a legal right to buy one.  (The exception would be if you live in a society that hasn't developed firearms, which as MIM points out is not a political or ideological question.)  And the more a society protects the right to bear arms, and the fewer legal restrictions on the sale of firearms, the easier it will be to find that somebody.

Razgovory

Or you know, being black in Mississippi in 1869.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on August 13, 2015, 02:40:37 PM

This sure is a fascinating debate you're trying to get started here Raz. :mellow:

Well I was thinking on the libertarian agreement of with Apartheid was which radically uncharacteristic.  A movement that feels the draft is a form of slavery, which found itself opposing most wars against communists, which despised paying taxes to the government leading the struggle against communists, which opposed any measure that required collective effort or sacrifice no matter how meager makes an about face and damns millions of people to tyranny in the name of fighting communism.  At best it makes them extremely selfish in caring only about their rights and nobody else, at worst rabidly racist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Wait so are you saying that being in favor of Apartheid reflects badly on somebody? That is pretty thought provoking there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Berkut thought differently.

Caliga

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 13, 2015, 02:47:12 PM
In 1982, a massive star ship bearing a bedraggled alien population, nicknamed "The Prawns," appeared over Johannesburg, South Africa. Twenty-eight years later, the initial welcome by the human population has faded. The refugee camp where the aliens were located has deteriorated into a militarized ghetto called District 9, where they are confined and exploited in squalor. In 2010, the munitions corporation, Multi-National United, is contracted to forcibly evict the population with operative Wikus van der Merwe in charge. In this operation, Wikus is exposed to a strange alien chemical and must rely on the help of his only two new 'Prawn' friends.
Did that really happen.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on August 13, 2015, 10:09:45 PM

I don't know about 1869, but this film from 1870 Mississippi makes it seem like a happy and fun place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 13, 2015, 02:47:12 PM

Now I'm hungry and thinking of shrimp creole.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on August 14, 2015, 09:16:23 PM
I don't know about 1869, but this film from 1870 Mississippi makes it seem like a happy and fun place.

:lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on August 14, 2015, 09:16:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 13, 2015, 10:09:45 PM

^_^
Women want me. Men want to be with me.