Frreeeeeedoooooom in the US: State by state

Started by The Larch, June 24, 2009, 08:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: The Larch on June 24, 2009, 10:16:08 AM
I also don't get the obsession with homeschooling.
Libertarians and Christian fundamentalists are often the same.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 24, 2009, 10:24:00 AM

I reserve the right to warp my kids.

Just spray them with the hose and leave'em out in the sun all day.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2009, 10:35:20 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 24, 2009, 10:24:00 AM

I reserve the right to warp my kids.

Just spray them with the hose and leave'em out in the sun all day.

they aren't shrinky dinks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Libertarians are the classic example of the principle that any idea, no matter how noble, becomes fucking nuts when taken to an extreme.

It seems from the report that banning homeschooling is as bad as Holocaust. :D

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2009, 10:23:20 AM

So, passing a breathalizer test is a notable infringement on your individual liberty?  :huh: I also don't get the obsession with homeschooling.

I agree with them that it is annoying to be in a hurry and have to wait 10 minutes at a random checkpoint to pass a sobriety test. Also, as I recently got a seatbelt violation ticket on a trip that was a couple of blocks, I sympathize with them there.

The homeschooling? When you are worried about government schools indoctrinating your children with lessons passed down from the UN's black helicopters (possibly involving heresies such as evolution), they are an important defense of liberty. I'm less sympathetic on that front.

I'm vehemently opposed to homeschooling. A situation with idiot parents teaching their children bullshit notwithstanding, even if parents have PhDs in all known sciences, an important part of education is socialization of minors. Otherwise you end up with Raz-s.

DGuller

Quote from: Faeelin on June 24, 2009, 09:58:32 AM
Can somebody explain to me why libertarians consider less restrictions on pollution a sign of freedom? If all pollution remained only on your property, then sure, I can buy that. But since that's not the case, ISTM that states which have laxer regulations are actually less free, because my health, aesthetic enjoyment of the environment, and quality of life are now being infringed upon somebody else, no?
Libertarians are concerned with nominal freedom from the government.  They are not at all concerned about freedom from other sources of coercion.  This is the biggest reason why their ideology is utterly absurd, and why they're so often missing the forest for the trees.

DGuller

So, passing a breathalizer test is a notable infringement on your individual liberty?  :huh: I also don't get the obsession with homeschooling.
Sobriety checkpoint is the random testing for drunk driving, without any prior reason for suspicion.  It's a legitimately questionable practice. 

As for homeschooling, they're obsessed with it because sending children to public schools is sending them for government indoctrination.  Again they have somewhat of a point there.

The Larch

Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2009, 12:10:27 PM
Sobriety checkpoint is the random testing for drunk driving, without any prior reason for suspicion.  It's a legitimately questionable practice.

I don't really know how that works in the USA, but over here they're performed mostly late at night in nightlife hotspots and during peak times of the year, so IMO they're warranted. It's not just about fining, but about road security, by taking away drunk drivers.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2009, 12:06:56 PM
Libertarians are concerned with nominal freedom from the government.  They are not at all concerned about freedom from other sources of coercion.  This is the biggest reason why their ideology is utterly absurd, and why they're so often missing the forest for the trees.
That is correct.  At the core of Libertarian Party values, the party is really not a pro-freedom party.  Rather, it's an anti-government party.... not an anarchist party per se, but rather one that just despises government as is.

This is why so many libertarians make a distinction between Libertarians and libertarians.  I think it's possible to be a libertarian and dislike big government, but yet still recognize the necessity of government overall.  That message is often missed or drowned out, though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Vince

Quote from: Martinus on June 24, 2009, 10:39:40 AM
Libertarians are the classic example of the principle that any idea, no matter how noble, becomes fucking nuts when taken to an extreme.

Some message boards I go to have some libertarian posters that think Lincoln was just as bad as Hitler.   :ph34r:

Caliga

Yep, those people are probably libertarians in the same sense that the Montana Freemen were.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on June 24, 2009, 12:35:26 PM
I don't really know how that works in the USA, but over here they're performed mostly late at night in nightlife hotspots and during peak times of the year, so IMO they're warranted. It's not just about fining, but about road security, by taking away drunk drivers.
You're not disproving what I'm saying.  Doing random drunk driving testing during times of high likelihood of drunk driving is still random testing.  You're still testing someone who has not personally exhibited signs of any wrongdoing.  Effectiveness and respect for personal freedom are not the same thing.

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2009, 12:58:29 PM
Yep, those people are probably libertarians in the same sense that the Montana Freemen were.

Arakis, a place in Montana?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: Vince on June 24, 2009, 12:53:54 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 24, 2009, 10:39:40 AM

Some message boards I go to have some libertarian posters that think Lincoln was just as bad as Hitler.   :ph34r:

Nobody like that here, right Lettow?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Vince

Okay so NY is fucked up but we have something no other state has.  Two State Senates!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/25/nyregion/25albany.html?hp