News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2016, 10:14:08 AM
Changes to planet types (now 3 groups and you've 60% habitability to planets who are in your group but not your specific type)

Changes in number of habitable planets (much fewer) - also colonisation no longer needs tech researching for planet types, just need habitability above 30% (default for planets not your group is 20%)

Alliances are out as they were some middling stage that wasn't non-agression pact or federation

Federations now have some sort of associate status that can be granted to non-members to work as a NAP

New toggles for control of sectors

Nothing I really disagree with but none of which really works much to substantial issues with gameplay (more of nice to haves).

I don't like any of those changes. Frankly most of them sound terrible.  :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

I probably like the planet one.

It never made any sense (nor do I think it mattered in the fun vs. gameplay argument) that a continental/terran species couldn't colonize an ocean/tropical world.  It shouldn't be ideal (habitability), but should still be possible.

And I thought habitable planets were already pretty sparse.  But I think that ratio should really be an option made at galaxy creation anyway.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Yeah. Needing a whole different set of technology for a desert species to colonise a continental world was daft.

My big thing with planets is how pointless non life bearing worlds are. Habitable planets should be rare and valuable... but you should be able to do something with the others.
It would make terraforming a bit more worthwhile for instance if you could do it on certain dead worlds
██████
██████
██████

garbon

I agree with that. It's like oh good, please have the game keep track of all these planets and asteroids that can't be used for anything at all.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 04:09:43 AM
I agree with that. It's like oh good, please have the game keep track of all these planets and asteroids that can't be used for anything at all.

Agreed, the barren/never-useful planets is also pointless (I can't get my ass to Mars  :( )

That being said, terraforming should not be a quick or easy process.  Having every system filled with the same, boring, continental/whatever planets makes the galaxy rather blasée.  Which is kinda why I like the "improving habitability" of worlds better.  I like the idea that my humans will the diversity of living on continental/tropical/desert/arctic worlds, but that improving tech makes living on them more manageable.

Tonitrus

Don't think I'll like the alliance/federation change though..."light" alliances are nice if you want to avoid the political crap that comes with federations, or having the "federation navy".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 23, 2016, 07:35:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 01:47:17 AM
They are making it a toggle option.

The percentage of habitable worlds?

QuoteMore Galaxy Setup Options
There is an old gamer's adage that says 'more player choice is always better'. We do not actually agree with this, as adding unnecessary/uninteresting choices can just as well bog a game down as it can improve it, but in the case of galaxy setup in a game such as Stellaris, it is pretty much true. With that in mind, the following new galaxy setup options are planned to be included in Heinlein:
Maximum number of Fallen Empires (actually setting a fixed number is difficult due to the way they spawn and how it's affected by regular empires)
Chance of habitable worlds spawning
Whether to allow advanced empires to start near players
Whether to use empire clustering
Whether endgame crises should be allowed to appear

Valmy

QuoteThere is an old gamer's adage that says 'more player choice is always better'. We do not actually agree with this

Yeah I always thought meaningful choices are better than non-meaningful choices regardless of the volume of choices.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Don't like the alliance change.
What is needed there is making federations harder to form and more integrated. Diplo annexing almost.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 23, 2016, 09:05:00 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 23, 2016, 07:35:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 01:47:17 AM
They are making it a toggle option.

The percentage of habitable worlds?

QuoteMore Galaxy Setup Options
There is an old gamer's adage that says 'more player choice is always better'. We do not actually agree with this, as adding unnecessary/uninteresting choices can just as well bog a game down as it can improve it, but in the case of galaxy setup in a game such as Stellaris, it is pretty much true. With that in mind, the following new galaxy setup options are planned to be included in Heinlein:
Maximum number of Fallen Empires (actually setting a fixed number is difficult due to the way they spawn and how it's affected by regular empires)
Chance of habitable worlds spawning
Whether to allow advanced empires to start near players
Whether to use empire clustering
Whether endgame crises should be allowed to appear

Okay, I do like those changes a lot.

However, getting rid of alliances is retarded.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Scourge showed up a second time.

Pretty nasty term there Tim, I'd have hoped you could be more respectful.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 29, 2016, 07:30:56 AM
Scourge showed up a second time.

Pretty nasty term there Tim, I'd have hoped you could be more respectful.

I'm sorry. -_-

1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

About the Scourge or your slurs towards those who may have developmental disorders?
PDH!