BB wants a new computer - PC this time

Started by Barrister, July 28, 2015, 04:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

If you want to buy it, you should pick Windows 10 Pro instead of the basic version.  But, you can get Windows 7 Home Premium, wich lets you upgrade to Win10 Pro and is sold 124$ instead of the 185$ for Win10 Pro.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 11, 2015, 07:16:29 PM
If you want to buy it, you should pick Windows 10 Pro instead of the basic version.  But, you can get Windows 7 Home Premium, wich lets you upgrade to Win10 Pro and is sold 124$ instead of the 185$ for Win10 Pro.

Why?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 12, 2015, 09:51:37 AM

Why?
if you ever have more than one computer that you want to link on a network, it will be infinately easier.
It has policy management, backup utility and encryption.  Granted, the last two, you can get for free anywhere.  The first one has its use in managing rights on the computer, who gets access to what.
It also has remote desktop, wich can be useful to access your computer at a distance.

I would not recommend paying 60$ more for that, but at the same price, it's worth it.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2015, 04:56:04 PM

Why?
if you ever have more than one computer that you want to link on a network, it will be infinately easier.
It has policy management, backup utility and encryption.  Granted, the last two, you can get for free anywhere.  The first one has its use in managing rights on the computer, who gets access to what.
It also has remote desktop, wich can be useful to access your computer at a distance.

I would not recommend paying 60$ more for that, but at the same price, it's worth it.

eh, I can't see me ever doing any of that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2015, 05:03:59 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2015, 04:56:04 PM

Why?

eh, I can't see me ever doing any of that.
the policy thing will let you login without entering password, while retaining it for any attempt at external use.  Home version will let you assing a blank password.

Norgy

Some may think I went overboard with my computer build.
But, really, this is what going overboard and then some is:

http://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/gaming-rig/leo-waldock/dinopc-raptor-watercooled-system-review/

crazy canuck

I have been looking at the ncix site and some others and I realize I have no idea what I should get.

Norgy

What is the purpose of the build?
How do you feel about sound issues?
How high can you go?
How high a resolution do you intend to use?

You can, basically, build a reasonably good computer for around 250 US dollars. It won't have stellar gaming performance and could be slow even for mundane tasks, but it'll work and run Win 10.

crazy canuck

The only thing I would use this is for playing games.

I am not sure what you mean by sound issues so I guess I don't have any.

I am not sure how much I want to spend. Cost isn't really an issue but I don't want to be stupid about it either.

I have no idea about resolution.  My last computer was purchased about 8 years ago and my monitor is older than that - may have to replace that also.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 20, 2015, 08:49:00 AM
The only thing I would use this is for playing games.

I am not sure what you mean by sound issues so I guess I don't have any.

I am not sure how much I want to spend. Cost isn't really an issue but I don't want to be stupid about it either.

I have no idea about resolution.  My last computer was purchased about 8 years ago and my monitor is older than that - may have to replace that also.

Sound issues means how bothered are you by a noisy computer.  A lot of homemade systems are concerned about performance above all else, so they blast as much air through as possible to maximize their overclock - which makes their computer sound like a jet engine at takeoff.

What size and resolution is your monitor?  That may indeed be a key upgrade for you.  I bought a 27" a few years ago and that things great.

But most importantly... what sort of games do you think you'd want to play?

I agree it's all kind of bewildering.  I'm still mostly lost at looking at motherboards, though I'm inching closer to pulling the pin.  Probably start placing orders around labour day, hoping to have the thing up and running by the end of September.

crazy canuck

It's a 19 inch screen.  So probably time to replace it.

Barrister

crazy canuck

I missed your question about games.  Mainly paradox type strategy games and games like Star Citizen when it comes out

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 20, 2015, 08:49:00 AM
Cost isn't really an issue but I don't want to be stupid about it either.
If cost isn't an issue

If the first is overbudget

Start with this.  Play with the site.  You could replace your 32gb of the first build (wich may be a tad overkill right now) for a 16gb kit of the same brand.  If you want more performance, you could buy a Geforce Titan X for video card, it'll cost you double of what I picked.  Possibilites are infinite, only the budget is finite ;)

crazy canuck