BB wants a new computer - PC this time

Started by Barrister, July 28, 2015, 04:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2015, 10:18:10 PM
Thanks, but I want to do a complete hard drive wipe / re-install.
In that case, you could use either a Linux distro on USB or Hiren's boot cd.  The latter is a bit outdated, but it uses a (illegally) customized Windows XP with some tools.  I think Ccleaner is in there, if not, there's something else to wipe the drive.

So I get Steam working :yeah:
Super! 

But as I start digging around, I realize my copy of Windows is not activated.  Probably because I'm using a copy that was previously registered to a completely different computer.  Sigh - another trip to customer support...
You should not need to...  Usually, you activate Windows 7/8, then you upgrade to Win10 and it does not require activation.
But I'm glad it worked out for you :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 23, 2015, 09:25:43 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2015, 10:18:10 PM
Thanks, but I want to do a complete hard drive wipe / re-install.
In that case, you could use either a Linux distro on USB or Hiren's boot cd.  The latter is a bit outdated, but it uses a (illegally) customized Windows XP with some tools.  I think Ccleaner is in there, if not, there's something else to wipe the drive.

Um, Viper, I'm not about to wipe out OS X in order to install Linux on the Mac Pro.  The whole point is to get a fresh install before selling the computer as a Mac.

Quote from: viper
But as I start digging around, I realize my copy of Windows is not activated.  Probably because I'm using a copy that was previously registered to a completely different computer.  Sigh - another trip to customer support...
You should not need to...  Usually, you activate Windows 7/8, then you upgrade to Win10 and it does not require activation.
But I'm glad it worked out for you :)

I dunno what to tell you.  I hadn't seen this on Monday, but when I fired up the computer last night I had this message stuck on my screen "you must register Windows".  I wasn't quite sure what the effect of not registering Win 10 might be, but I'm kind of a stickler for these sorts of things so I wanted to get that taken care of.  And that's apparently why they gave me a new purchase key.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2015, 12:08:31 PM
Um, Viper, I'm not about to wipe out OS X in order to install Linux on the Mac Pro.  The whole point is to get a fresh install before selling the computer as a Mac.
I'm not telling you to install Linux on the Mac either.  I'm telling you to create a bootable USB key with a Linux distro on it to wipe out your hard drive.

Note: the switch -n 100 tells shred to run the process 100 times.  That may be a bit excessive.  You could use 3 or 10 times and it would be sufficient, only a skilled hacker would be able to recover data beyond 10.  But 100 times makes you NSA proof.  Possibly.  So if you're planning a Conservative coup to take over the government of Canada following Mulcair's election, it might be prudent to use the -n 100 switch :P

I dunno what to tell you.  I hadn't seen this on Monday, but when I fired up the computer last night I had this message stuck on my screen "you must register Windows".  I wasn't quite sure what the effect of not registering Win 10 might be, but I'm kind of a stickler for these sorts of things so I wanted to get that taken care of.  And that's apparently why they gave me a new purchase key.
If you're not registered, at some point, you stop receiving the updates to the OS, and it might be possible that the only thing you see one day, booting up the computer, is a black screen.  So it was very wise of you to contact them :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Man, I have to say the boot-up time on this new system is damn impressive.  It has to be 15-20 seconds.

I'm sure 98% of that is due to the SSD, but still.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Went into NCIX to get my computer built.  Essentially the build Viper suggested.  A shipment of i7 chips are expected next week so I should be picking it up in about two weeks.

Thanks again for all the advice

crazy canuck

Just got an email that the technician is completing the testing....

BB, I went with a 24 inch screen.  Now I need to choose what game I will try first.  I am thinking all my old games are going to seem new with the better graphics and increased screen size.  :)

viper37

prices on the older generation i7 have started to drop.  The CPU I want now sells for 400$ instead of the previously 400$ asked...
Low Canadian dollar sucks.   :glare: