BB wants a new computer - PC this time

Started by Barrister, July 28, 2015, 04:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Berkut on July 28, 2015, 11:56:30 PM
Having a Windows machine is like being a little black - just one makes you a Windows person, no matter how many apple devices you own.

Appletards are loyal to the extreme. Turn in your badge.

My lab is a constant battleground.  I have an XServe sitting on a shelf above a Windows box sitting on a desk above a Linux box.  I have a (currently unused) SPARC box in the closet. :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on July 30, 2015, 11:35:12 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 30, 2015, 11:23:44 AM
just use headphones?
that's 200$+.

Sure but computer speakers are only used for the computer.  A good pair of headphones have a lot more uses.

viper37

BB, there are these stores in Alberta, direct competitor to NCIX:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Stores

Not as big, but I've ordered from them in the past, they had decent prices and excellent shipping service.

I did not require after sale service, so I can't tell you about it.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on July 31, 2015, 10:37:47 AM
BB, there are these stores in Alberta, direct competitor to NCIX:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Stores

Not as big, but I've ordered from them in the past, they had decent prices and excellent shipping service.

I did not require after sale service, so I can't tell you about it.

Cool.  I know where that store is, though I didn't actually know what kind of stuff they sold.

I'll probably order the major components online, but it's nice to have a local store if you unexpectedly are missing a cable or something.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Okay, so I took a stab at picking parts for a computer:

Component      Selection   Base   Promo   Shipping   Tax   Price   Where         
CPU   

Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
$329.98            $329.98   NCIX   
Buy   
CPU Cooler   

Scythe Kotetsu 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler
$112.79            $112.79   Amazon Canada   
Buy   
Motherboard      
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
$139.99      $8.99      $148.98   Newegg Canada   
Buy   
Memory   

G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
$151.34            $151.34   DirectCanada   
Buy   
Add Additional Memory   
Storage   

Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
$128.75            $128.75   shopRBC   
Buy   

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
$59.95            $59.95   Vuugo   
Buy   
Add Additional Storage   
Video Card   

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card
$299.99   -$20.00         $279.99   Memory Express   
Buy   
$20.00 mail-in rebate   
Case   

Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
$169.99            $169.99   Memory Express   
Buy   
Power Supply   

Cooler Master 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
$99.99   -$20.00   FREE      $79.99   NCIX   
Buy   
$20.00 mail-in rebate   
Optical Drive   

Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
$19.99            $19.99   Memory Express   
Buy   
Add Another Optical Drive   
Operating System   

Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)
$124.99            $124.99   Memory Express   
Buy   

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/vYBrgs

Total comes to $1600. <_<

But then I checked out EBay - 2008 Mac Pros like mine seem to be selling for around $500.  Perhaps I could recoup part of the costs that way?

But how well does it work trying to sell something on ebay when you have no account or selling history?

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 11, 2015, 01:48:51 PM
But how well does it work trying to sell something on ebay when you have no account or selling history?
In my experience: not well.  But you got to start somewhere.  You might sell it for only 250$ though.  Pick a reserve price if you're not willing to sell it too low, try your luck.  It doesn't cost much and if it doesn't sell, you'll get credited for the fees.

As for your set-up, 1TB is not enough for gaming, go for 2TB.  I have had very bad experience with Seagate in the past, but they may have corrected their problems.

Also, why are you buying Win10?  You have a Windows 7 DVD with you?  Just install it in the new computer, make all the updates (likely a 2 days operation) then upgrade to Win10 for free.  125$ in your pocket.  Or use Linux Mint (Free) + Crossover for 60$ a year.  You are used to exotic OS :P

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on August 11, 2015, 02:01:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 11, 2015, 01:48:51 PM
In my experience: not well.  But you got to start somewhere.  You might sell it for only 250$ though.  Pick a reserve price if you're not willing to sell it too low, try your luck.  It doesn't cost much and if it doesn't sell, you'll get credited for the fees.

As for your set-up, 1TB is not enough for gaming, go for 2TB.  I have had very bad experience with Seagate in the past, but they may have corrected their problems.

I wish the older Intel CPUs would drop in price.  <_<

The build I posted of course has a Skylake processor.  It's not a whole hell of a lot faster than the previous generation, but the advantage seems to be in the new chipset - more bandwidth, DDR4 RAM, and the prices are about the same.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 11, 2015, 02:06:27 PM
The build I posted of course has a Skylake processor.  It's not a whole hell of a lot faster than the previous generation, but the advantage seems to be in the new chipset - more bandwidth, DDR4 RAM, and the prices are about the same.
yes, if you're buying now, given the low difference in price, it's worth it to go for Skylake.

I've edited my previous message btw, re: Win10.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on August 11, 2015, 02:09:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 11, 2015, 02:06:27 PM
yes, if you're buying now, given the low difference in price, it's worth it to go for Skylake.

I've edited my previous message btw, re: Win10.

My Win 7 DVD was used in the Mac Pro.  I thought there was some way MS could check that you weren't re-using it?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to not spend the $100.

And OS X is free. :blurgh:

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 11, 2015, 02:11:33 PM
My Win 7 DVD was used in the Mac Pro.  I thought there was some way MS could check that you weren't re-using it?
Yes and no.  The key is resetted after 4 months, so it will install without problem on your new computer.
Even if you have a problem, you call the automated line and tell the truth when they ask the question: you have it installed only one 1 computer.

And it is totally legal and legitimate, so long as you have a retail or upgrade version of Win7.

And OS X is free. :blurgh:
So is Linux.  Doesn't make it a great OS either :P

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on August 11, 2015, 02:16:37 PM
Yes and no.  The key is resetted after 4 months, so it will install without problem on your new computer.
Even if you have a problem, you call the automated line and tell the truth when they ask the question: you have it installed only one 1 computer.

And it is totally legal and legitimate, so long as you have a retail or upgrade version of Win7.

Pretty sure it's an OEM copy... :unsure:

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 11, 2015, 03:25:30 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 11, 2015, 02:16:37 PM

Pretty sure it's an OEM copy... :unsure:
Then it's only legitimate ;)

It will work just fine, but technically, the OEM license is tied to the computer you first install it on (wich can only be sold with new computer hardware: whole computer, hard drive/SSD, motherboard, CPU*).
But it will work.
If you bought it standalone and it's OEM, you were already violating the license.

If you want to do it, you will have to do a clean install of Windows 7 on your new computer, activate it, install all the updates, wait the confirmation prompt to upgrade to Win10, the proceed directly through Windows Update or force the update with the ISO download on a USB key.  If you need further instructions for creating the USB key:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-7-8

*Not to sure about the CPU, can't remember, I think so, not sure...  Definately sure about the other hardware parts though.