BB wants a new computer - PC this time

Started by Barrister, July 28, 2015, 04:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Okay, so I realized that no matter how much I prefer OS X, I actually spend almost all of my time in Windows.  And really, having a separate OS X computer just to be able to use iTunes isn't really worthwhile.

So, I've been saving up to buy a new gaming PC.  And for fun, I'd like to try my hand at building one.

I've been playing around with https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/ (let me say, the lower loonie really sucks for stuff like this), and I'm starting to have a few ideas.  I think I have two competing ideas I'd like to keep in mind:

1. Since my last computer (2008 Mac Pro )lasted 7+ years, I'd better make this purchase a good one.  I have no idea when I might buy another one. 

2. After having the Mac Pro, I do like that it's such an easy case to work with, and it's really quiet.  So a nice case and quiet operation is important.

3. Intel and Nvidia.  I have no loyalty to those companies, but that seems to be the market leaders right now.

So anyways, I have a bit of time to play with.  I've been checking out different builds, different components (man, I'm completely lost when it comes to motherboards), but this seems to be the first question - what about Skylake?  Intel is supposed to be coming out with their new processors as early as next week.  Should I try and get a Skylake CPU (despite the fact they may be expensive and in limited supply), or do I stick with a two-generations-old Haswell processor?

And besides that, if anyone wants to give me a sample build working with the principles I mentioned, I'm all ears.  I'm thinking I'd like to stick to a budget around $1200 CDN.  And while there might be some wriggle room in that, it's not unlimited.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Norgy

The first Haswell processors were hit and miss when it came to how warm they run. But kind of fast.

With a new range being introduced, I'd wait and see a bit.

AMD/Nvidia... well, it's a toss-up really. I prefer Nvidia for the drivers and their Nvidia Experience software, but I notice AMD is getting better too with my living room media PC. Just make sure you get a good motherboard and a decent amount of RAM. Asus or ASRock are rarely bad. Depending on what case you choose, I'd try and get a custom cooled graphics card. Even the regular Nvidia ones make a lot of noise. MSI's latest cooler is the very best I have had. With two GTX 980 in SLi, that particular card keeps cool and the noise level is hardly audible. The eVGA one however is like five bombers coming into your room when it reaches 60 degrees Celsisu. The ACX 2.0 is probably fair with just one card, though.

Consider closed loop cooling for you processor. Intel is massively ahead of AMD and probably will be for the foreseeable future. The i7 4790k will probably drop when Skylake arrives, and is a great workhorse for almost anything, it seems. I have the little brother, i7 4770k. It can be clocked at a reasonably stable rate a 4.9 Ghz. But, like I said, it runs hot.
The i7 4790k is supposedly less prone to menopausal heatwaves.

Barrister

viper37

And they say I have expensive tastes!
Some people are crazy like that  :P

I'll get back to you in a couple of days with a nice build to fit your budget :)
As Norg said, the i7 4790k is a good choice, but if it's too pricey, the i5 4690k will do the trick for most gaming.
I wouldn't hold my breath expecting a price drop on these CPUs.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on July 28, 2015, 05:29:54 PM
And they say I have expensive tastes!
Some people are crazy like that  :P

I'll get back to you in a couple of days with a nice build to fit your budget :)
As Norg said, the i7 4790k is a good choice, but if it's too pricey, the i5 4690k will do the trick for most gaming.
I wouldn't hold my breath expecting a price drop on these CPUs.

The playing around I've done was generally around an i5, figuring for gaming the GPU is more important than the CPU.

Also..., while I wouldn't refuse a k CPU, I won't overclock.  Easier to keep heat (and thus fans, and thus sound) under control without doing it.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on July 28, 2015, 08:47:14 PM
Dead to me Beeb.

I still have:

iPhone
iPad
Apple TV
AirPort Extreme

I think the Steve Jobs will forgive me one Windows machine. -_-

Berkut

Having a Windows machine is like being a little black - just one makes you a Windows person, no matter how many apple devices you own.

Appletards are loyal to the extreme. Turn in your badge.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Norgy

This may be the optimal time to look at new computers, with Win 10 being released.
As far as I understand, MS will stop pushing a new OS every 5-6 years and rather go for Apple's model of improving the existing one.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on July 28, 2015, 10:34:57 PM
Quote from: katmai on July 28, 2015, 08:47:14 PM
Dead to me Beeb.

I still have:

iPhone
iPad
Apple TV
AirPort Extreme

I think the Steve Jobs will forgive me one Windows machine. -_-

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on July 28, 2015, 11:56:30 PM
Having a Windows machine is like being a little black - just one makes you a Windows person, no matter how many apple devices you own.

Appletards are loyal to the extreme. Turn in your badge.

Never!  My Appletard badge is so old it is rainbow-coloured!

Besides, we still have Mrs B's Macbook Pro.

Norgy

Grey Fox

You are going to need to SLI the new Titans pretty soon.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.