BB wants a new computer - PC this time

Started by Barrister, July 28, 2015, 04:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Skylake is going to be released in just over a week.  Might want to wait a few weeks to see how that effects prices.  Viper is probably right that prices won't change much for existing CPUs but on the off chance they do drop you will benefit.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 29, 2015, 10:35:25 AM
Skylake is going to be released in just over a week.  Might want to wait a few weeks to see how that effects prices.  Viper is probably right that prices won't change much for existing CPUs but on the off chance they do drop you will benefit.

There's no doubt I'm waiting a few weeks - I'm saving up now, and won't have the money 'till the fall.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on July 28, 2015, 04:06:54 PM
And besides that, if anyone wants to give me a sample build working with the principles I mentioned, I'm all ears.  I'm thinking I'd like to stick to a budget around $1200 CDN.  And while there might be some wriggle room in that, it's not unlimited.
I built one for Berkut the other day, using the same baseline:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Viper371/saved/#view=pQYYcf
It comes in at 1260$CAN.
With an i5, you save 120$, but I recommend going over budget in your case since you want to keep it longer.  CPUs are harder to change than video card.

This excludes the monitor, of course, as well as kb and mouse.  If you want to fit 1200$ with all that in extra, we'll have to considerably lower the specs.

Since you don't want to overclock, I used a more generic board.  It has less cooling options, so it might overheat and be unstable if you try your hands at overclocking, and you might need to add some more fans into your case.

I've picked the Radeon 280.  It's a very decent card for a very decent price.
It's not future proof, then again,  I doubt anything his.  AMD just introduced it's 8gb cards a few weeks ago, and that will be the next standard.
I'd say pick this one, and in 2-3 years, if you still want to keep your computer, upgrade the video card.

EDIT:
I picked DDR-2133mhz not because you need it, but because it was cheaper than the equivalent 1866mhz, due to a store special on NCIX.  As prices will change by the time you buy it, I recommend going for 16gb DDR3-1866mhz, or above if it's cheaper, just don't pay a premium for it, you won't use it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on July 29, 2015, 11:16:33 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 29, 2015, 10:35:25 AM

There's no doubt I'm waiting a few weeks - I'm saving up now, and won't have the money 'till the fall.
Canadian stores tends to have big savings around Thanksgiving, especially NCIX.
Of course, their Black Friday sale is huge, but you have to be flexible on what you want and wait that much longer.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on July 29, 2015, 01:37:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 28, 2015, 04:06:54 PM
And besides that, if anyone wants to give me a sample build working with the principles I mentioned, I'm all ears.  I'm thinking I'd like to stick to a budget around $1200 CDN.  And while there might be some wriggle room in that, it's not unlimited.
I built one for Berkut the other day, using the same baseline:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Viper371/saved/#view=pQYYcf
It comes in at 1260$CAN.
With an i5, you save 120$, but I recommend going over budget in your case since you want to keep it longer.  CPUs are harder to change than video card.

This excludes the monitor, of course, as well as kb and mouse.  If you want to fit 1200$ with all that in extra, we'll have to considerably lower the specs.

Since you don't want to overclock, I used a more generic board.  It has less cooling options, so it might overheat and be unstable if you try your hands at overclocking, and you might need to add some more fans into your case.

I've picked the Radeon 280.  It's a very decent card for a very decent price.
It's not future proof, then again,  I doubt anything his.  AMD just introduced it's 8gb cards a few weeks ago, and that will be the next standard.
I'd say pick this one, and in 2-3 years, if you still want to keep your computer, upgrade the video card.

EDIT:
I picked DDR-2133mhz not because you need it, but because it was cheaper than the equivalent 1866mhz, due to a store special on NCIX.  As prices will change by the time you buy it, I recommend going for 16gb DDR3-1866mhz, or above if it's cheaper, just don't pay a premium for it, you won't use it.

You seem to be missing a case and a PSU... :hmm:

I have a 27" monitor I'm happy with.  The Apple keyboard is quite nice actually so I might keep that, and for a mouse I use a generic logitech I'll probably keep as well.  The bigger question is the spakers - they're 12+ year old Dell speaks that came with a long-ago computer.  I wonder if I should replace those.

And do Canadian stores tend to have sales around Canadian thanksgiving?  That would work well with my timeline.  Black Friday... not so much...

And as for case, I think I really want this one...

http://www.ncix.com/detail/fractal-design-define-r5-atx-70-102217-1338.htm

Grey Fox

NCIX has a sale every weekends. It will have one on Canadian Thanksgiving.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

I bought my last computer from NCIX and was very happy with it and their service.  Now I see the have many more stores - one was opened just 4 blocks away from the existing store I went to.  They must be doing something right.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 29, 2015, 02:56:31 PM
I bought my last computer from NCIX and was very happy with it and their service.  Now I see the have many more stores - one was opened just 4 blocks away from the existing store I went to.  They must be doing something right.

I didn't even know they had physical locations.

*quickly googles*

Looks like BC and Ontario only.

viper37

I've changed a few things, added a case, PSU and DVD drive.

Lowered the video card to 270X to try and fit your budget, still 100$ above.

I'll check something else tonight.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on July 29, 2015, 04:17:16 PM

:hug:

I like this build.  Still not sold on the Radeon, but whatever.

Norgy

Like viper says, nothing in the world of graphics cards seems future-proof.
Most sane people (unlike me) go for mid-end graphics cards and add a second one. I went full retard this time.

Reviewers seem to think the GTX 970 is the best price/performance value these days, but I doubt you can do much wrong the the AMD chips either.
Just get a custom coolers, as tests seem to indicate they run quite hot.

viper37

Quote from: Norgy on July 29, 2015, 04:42:12 PM
Reviewers seem to think the GTX 970 is the best price/performance value these days,
Probably true, but in his case, that's 200$ more.  He gets a better card, a much better card (the 270x might be weak for modern games at high resolution), but it's 200$ more.

Just get a custom coolers, as tests seem to indicate they run quite hot.
The card I recommended is ok.  Most major manufacturers add their own cooling devices.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on July 29, 2015, 04:28:16 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 29, 2015, 04:17:16 PM

:hug:

I like this build.  Still not sold on the Radeon, but whatever.
the hard drive isn't really fast, keep that in mind.  If you want decent performance, you'll likely have to shuffle things back&forth between the SSD and HDD, one game at a time.

Steammover and Appmover are great for this.

viper37

Looking something else.  The new 370,380,390 are dropping fast. They are rebranded 270,280 and 290.

If you look at this one:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/powercolor-radeon-r9-380-pcs-6c-110346-1912.htm?affiliateid=7474144
It has good cooling and it's 285$, currently 30$ more than the card I recommended, but it's similar to a GTX 960.
By automn, there will lots of specials on these cards, just make sure to pick one with decent cooling and 4gb DDR5.
This card would let you play games are full resolution, something the 270x would not.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on July 29, 2015, 02:07:56 PM
The bigger question is the spakers - they're 12+ year old Dell speaks that came with a long-ago computer.  I wonder if I should replace those.
a good 5.1 speaker set for the computer, for gaming and music, that will set you off 400$.
I've searched a replacement for years for my speakers, and it's the reason why I haven't changed my old Logitech.

If you do decide to change them, I'd advise wireless satellites + conventional 2.1 kit for the front ones.