Well, fuck it - I like Internet shaming people after all

Started by Martinus, July 28, 2015, 01:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 30, 2015, 10:09:15 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2015, 10:07:55 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on July 30, 2015, 10:05:38 AM
I wish the internet mob would concentrate on more important stuff, like people killing people for example.

People don't kill people, bows and arrows do.

Usually it's the arrow.

Good point. We need an arrow registration program.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

I wish the internet mob would concentrate on more important stuff, like people killing people for example.

I agree with you that there are many issues of significant importance that don't get the attention they deserve.  A beloved lion named Cecil gets killed and the planet weeps.  Children die of hunger or exploitation anonymously and without comment.  The internet crowd become outraged over issues which can be expressed simply and within the character constraints of twitter.  Complex significant problems are difficult to discuss in this new age of instantaneous worldwide communication.  I think those sorts of discussions were better back when people still read newspapers rather than their twitter/facebook feeds.   

lustindarkness

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 30, 2015, 10:16:28 AM

I agree with you that there are many issues of significant importance that don't get the attention they deserve.  A beloved lion named Cecil gets killed and the planet weeps.  Children die of hunger or exploitation anonymously and without comment.  The internet crowd become outraged over issues which can be expressed simply and within the character constraints of twitter.  Complex significant problems are difficult to discuss in this new age of instantaneous worldwide communication.  I think those sorts of discussions were better back when people still read newspapers rather than their twitter/facebook feeds.   

Yeap.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Twitter is horrible. Facebook is a 100 times better and I am no Facebook fan.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Except the problem you listed is one as old as time. I don't think people reading newspapers brought any advantage over current digital media in say solving those problems for Africa.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2015, 12:22:15 PM
Except the problem you listed is one as old as time. I don't think people reading newspapers brought any advantage over current digital media in say solving those problems for Africa.

True.  Kony 2012 fixed Africa.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2015, 12:22:15 PM

You may be too young to remember this but there was a time when newspapers were the focal point of social and political discourse.  Many reforms both political and social were influenced or even caused by that sort of discourse which would last more than the life span of the newest internet outrage.

garbon

Yeah and you sound like an old man crying about the youth of today and their technology. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2015, 12:37:15 PM
Yeah and you sound like an old man crying about the youth of today and their technology. ;)

True but Twitter does suck in a way that other social media doesn't. It seems to be built to do what CC is complaining about.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

No, just the growing inability of society to comprehend things that are not easily contained within a limited number of characters combined with the shrinking budgets of Newspapers to do meaningful reporting.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 30, 2015, 12:42:27 PM

No, just the growing inability of society to comprehend things that are not easily contained within a limited number of characters combined with the shrinking budgets of Newspapers to do meaningful reporting.

Yes, the latest generation is also more dreadful than those that have come before.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2015, 12:47:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 30, 2015, 12:42:27 PM

Yes, the latest generation is also more dreadful than those that have come before.

Why do you make this a generational thing.  Both young and old use twitter, facebook etc.  And both young and old have stopped reading newspapers.  You aren't that special.  ;)

Zanza

Tabloids existed way before Twitter and always had much higher distribution than quality newspapers. I find the idea that intellectual discourse has been harmed by new social media questionable.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on July 30, 2015, 01:32:00 PM
Tabloids existed way before Twitter and always had much higher distribution than quality newspapers. I find the idea that intellectual discourse has been harmed by new social media questionable.

What would you say replaced the reporting and editorials of newspapers?