Well, fuck it - I like Internet shaming people after all

Started by Martinus, July 28, 2015, 01:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on July 28, 2015, 02:29:16 PM
What exactly qualifies as a "hobby hunter" to you Martinus?

Broadly speaking, anyone who hunts animals for sport (as opposed to having it as a part of cultural lifestyle to get food, like say an African tribe's hunter). More specifically, anyone who thinks killing animals is fun, takes pictures of himself with dead animals, or involves their kids in this sickness.

@Valmy, I am ambiguous about the "hunters have their place" argument. Sure, *some* of them can be said to perform some useful role (although I am not sure why it cannot be performed by forest wardens and the like). Still, as with butchers, executioners and prison wardens, you have to wonder what's wrong with a person who not only performs such role willingly but also apparently enjoys it.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on July 28, 2015, 04:08:03 PM

Broadly speaking, anyone who hunts animals for sport (as opposed to having it as a part of cultural lifestyle to get food, like say an African tribe's hunter). More specifically, anyone who thinks killing animals is fun, takes pictures of himself with dead animals, or involves their kids in this sickness.

@Valmy, I am ambiguous about the "hunters have their place" argument. Sure, *some* of them can be said to perform some useful role (although I am not sure why it cannot be performed by forest wardens and the like). Still, as with butchers, executioners and prison wardens, you have to wonder what's wrong with a person who not only performs such role willingly but also apparently enjoys it.

So what does it mean to "hav[e] ot as a part of [a] cultural lifestyle to get food"?  I know lots of northerners who go out to bag a moose to fill their freezer for the winter.  They aren't necessarily native (though many are), but that's part of their fall ritual - to go hunting.  Or people who hunt deer in areas where the population is out of control.

there's perhaps a distinction for pure trophy hunters, who don't eat the meat, but even then I'm not so sure I'm quick to condemn them.

Obviously the situation here is wrong - the lured an animal out of a natural preserve, and killed an animal that was tagged and collared.  But I don't think you can tar all hunters, no matter what kind, with the same brush.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

:lol:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

So, it turns out that Marti lacks the virtue of empathy and instead hopes that those different from him are shot.  Who'd have predicted that?  :mellow:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Bowhunting large lions in Africa seems like it would be dangerous.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2015, 04:25:37 PM
Bowhunting large lions in Africa seems like it would be dangerous.

Yes you should go after the cubs.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

:lol: Classic Marti. 

If I take a deer this fall, you'll be the first to know.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

I agree with Marti.

Yes, hunting for food is fine.

Trophy hunting, that is, hunting big game for the pleasure of mounting a head in your patients' waiting room, and posing with it, is not. This is purely for the pleasure of killing.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

I don't think you Europeans understand how many fucking deer there are in the US.  Deer kill 200 people every year, and they never eat their kills.  They are blood thirsty monsters.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

LaCroix

what's the difference between killing for sport and killing for profit? i applaud the guy. he wanted to hunt something worthwhile, with a freaking bow, and he accomplished that goal. i applaud climbers of mt. everest, too. while the former involves killing an animal, mankind kills animals every day. it's what we do. until that changes, killing a lion with a bow may as well be similar to climbing a mountain. illegalities aside, of course.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2015, 05:31:35 PM
I don't think you Europeans understand how many fucking deer there are in the US.  Deer kill 200 people every year, and they never eat their kills.  They are blood thirsty monsters.

Then there the damn ticks.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Deer kill 200 people every year, and they never eat their kills.

How many of those people die in car wrecks cause they hit the deer? Doesn't seem like the deer will be in very good shape either after that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 28, 2015, 06:18:18 PM
Deer kill 200 people every year, and they never eat their kills.

How many of those people die in car wrecks cause they hit the deer? Doesn't seem like the deer will be in very good shape either after that.

All of them.  They are like suicide bombers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017